Sign in to follow this  
seansrs968

Shooting video with Canon 5DM4

I will be going on a Shark Trip in March of next year and was thinking of shooting some video with my Canon 5Dm4. I never really shot much video with DSLR and would appreciate some advice. I also have some questions. Would I need to use a red filter? What shutter speed would should be used? I will be using a 8-15mm Fisheye lens. Do I need to white balance all the time? Just a few questions. Are there any good videos to watch about shooting video UW?

I am new to this but I would expect above water insights also apply below. If you are lighting your subject with floods then your white balance would be consistent with those flood lights output. I have heard setting the WB by starting on your hand gets you good results. If you are not going to use floods you have to deal with your ambient which is severely devoid of reds and would be helped by a red filter. Because you keep loosing more wavelengths of light as you descend other filters will help more. SO, depends on how much light you have and how deep you are going. If I recall correctly the simple white balance adjustment will give less than stellar results because there just isn't information in the reds to be manipulated.

I trust those with more experience will chime in and provide feedback on my statements.

Patrick

• Like 1

Alright

Lots depends on what exactly you're doing. Mainly I'd concentrate on getting all the things that apply to topside video right first and then the underwater stuff will just improve with time. Invest time in looking back at your stuff and seeing what you could improve.

A few general pointers -

Try to keep your shutter speed at 2x your frame rate so once it's set don't touch it. This us usually 50th for 25fps or 60th for 30 frames per second. If you go up to 500th or more the pictures will end up stroby.

Don't have your iris too wide open - dome ports often go soft around the edges and buying yourself a little bit of depth of field with the iris around f11 will help to sharpen the edges.

With that lens, and generally with most underwater, you want to be as close as possible to the subject.

If you're very shallow then I wouldn't use a red filter - if you're deep maybe I would.

I wouldn't white balance every shot, only if things change dramatically, ortherwise you'll just spend all day white balancing. You can also just wind the white balance up and down the Kelvin scale instead of actually performing white balances.

Whatever you do to get good results you'll probably want to do some grading of your pictures in post.

Hope that helps a bit!

Based on my limited experience on 5D3 and 1DC underwater, I think red filter is not necessary. Canon DSLRs are very good in custom white balance underwater particularly at depth.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements