Sign in to follow this  
Xberges

Sample macro/wide photos of Sony a series (a6000, a6300 or a6500)

Hello!

So I'm diving into a Sony a6500 with Fantasea housing. I'm starting out with the kit 16-50 lens with the respective port and gears.

I'm evaluating getting a macro setup fairly quickly and looking at the available lenses for macro there's the kit 16-50 with 12.5 diopter, Sony Macro 50mm and the Sony Macro 90mm, you could use the diopter for the last two. So I would like to see if anybody can help me with sample photos or videos of a comparison of the 16-50mm and 50mm with and without the diopter. The 90mm is out of the question right now as it's a pretty expensive set up, from lens, converter, port etc...

With this I'm trying to answer two fundamental questions: (1) is it worth getting the 50mm macro lens (I'd imagine it's much sharper image) vis a vis the kit lens with diopter, and (2) what level of supermacro can I get from the 50mm macro lens with the diopter.

For wide there are two immediate choices: 16mm w\ fisheye converter and the 10-16mm wide lens. The fisheye option is cheaper, but I fear it suffers from less sharpness and I'm particularly choosy between fisheye and plain wide. I would think you get better results with the 10-16mm as its a more specialized lens and you don't have the fisheye converter distortion.

I've found online articles that treat both subjects, but they left me with questions. For Macro: how does the kit lens compare to 50mm macro (as both have same focal length) and how they perform with diopter. For wide I haven't seen anything on the 10-16mm lens, just of the Tokina\Canon lenses, which are expensive to set up.

The opportunity cost (ie dont get any lens) is to just buy the Wide Angle and Diopter external add ons, so it's a question of quality and how much you gain by getting the dedicated lens (which obviously looses on flexibility when shooting).

If someone sees something incoherent in the post or would like to reframe their response to help with feedback it's much appreciated. I'd think I'd see more a6500/a6300 users given the relative low cost\high quality you seem to get vis a vis other mirrorless of similar quality (em1 mk2 and GH5) or dSLR equivalents (d500), albeit these edge out in other areas. Basically the a6500 costs about half of these other options right now.

Cheers!

Edited by Xberges

Hello,

I shoot with a6500 and previously with a6000, both nauticam.

In my opinion since you have a mirrorless, I'd stay away from wet lenses.

All the rest you wrote make sense, about macro setup I'd go for a 50mm, the diopter is not really needed. About fisheye/wa, I have a 16mm with fisheye converter and a carl zeiss f4 wa, once again, you're right there is an abyss in price difference and of course the carl zeiss produce sharper images.

If you want to practice wa shots, which is challenging I would begin with the 16mm with fisheye or wa converter.

Francesco

Hi Xberges,

I have the A6500 and the Fantasea housing, I have been pleased with it. I did not buy the 16-50mm kit lens, although I have friends who use this with wet lenses for good results. I have the 10-18mm and the 50mm macro (to be honest, I don't use the macro often). My only negative comments are as follows:

50mm macro - this lens really hunts for focus, to the point where manual focus is sometimes a better option, I wish I had purchased the 90mm and still might, although seriously considering an upgrade soon.

10-18mm - I get terrible issues with the white printing on the lens and to a certain extent the actual lens reflecting in the dome port and it turns up in your photos to be removed in post, sometimes its very time consuming and almost impossible to remove.

Outside of these, you should be able to get some great results with the setup...

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Xberges,

I have the A6500 and the Fantasea housing, I have been pleased with it. I did not buy the 16-50mm kit lens, although I have friends who use this with wet lenses for good results. I have the 10-18mm and the 50mm macro (to be honest, I don't use the macro often). My only negative comments are as follows:

50mm macro - this lens really hunts for focus, to the point where manual focus is sometimes a better option, I wish I had purchased the 90mm and still might, although seriously considering an upgrade soon.

10-18mm - I get terrible issues with the white printing on the lens and to a certain extent the actual lens reflecting in the dome port and it turns up in your photos to be removed in post, sometimes its very time consuming and almost impossible to remove.

Outside of these, you should be able to get some great results with the setup...

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave

If you've not seen it already, there have been a number of posts about lens markings reflecting on to the sensor and then on the image.

There are lots of solutions from permanent black marker to ink out the white letters - to use of various light traps in the port. Worth a Search of WP if you've not seen them already.

Best wishes

Tim

Hello,

I shoot with a6500 and previously with a6000, both nauticam.

In my opinion since you have a mirrorless, I'd stay away from wet lenses.

All the rest you wrote make sense, about macro setup I'd go for a 50mm, the diopter is not really needed. About fisheye/wa, I have a 16mm with fisheye converter and a carl zeiss f4 wa, once again, you're right there is an abyss in price difference and of course the carl zeiss produce sharper images.

If you want to practice wa shots, which is challenging I would begin with the 16mm with fisheye or wa converter.

Francesco

Thanks a lot!

Do you have a link to images so I can see? As well would be be willing to send a high quality sample raw or JPEG to have a feel for the quality of the UW images?

Rgds,

Hi,
for macro:
the 16 - 50mm is a "cheap universal lens"
So that means small, light weighted, but a lot of compromisses....
You can not compare that with a special for macro build lens,
And the focal lenght is to short to use a diopter on both of them ( with good results ).
A wet diopter is more or less only shortening the focus distance.
That means you have to get very close, so the model will look bigger...

The 90mm is a good lens, but very slow. But will work good with diopters.

I use a Nikon Micro zoom lens, 70 - 180mm with an +10 Subsee.
That means i can shoot a pygmy from a distance, without getting so close that i would touch it, and it fills my pic.
Makes a great difference. For me, because a nice pic, and for the pigmy because the strange thing is not getting so close....

Supermacro needs a long lens, that you can focus very close with an diopter.
A longer lens has a longer minimum focus distance, and only if you have this, you can shorten it good with an diopter.

I had a Sony NEx5n with the 30mm lens.
Thats a sharp lens, but the focus distance is too short to use a diopter.
At that time Sony had not much lenses, so i sold the rig...

Now i check out other Sony combinations with third part lenses.
Will post what i found out.

Regards,
Wolfgang

For wide angle options, I wouldn't really recommend either the 16mm w/ fisheye converter or the 10-16mm rectilinear zoom. The IQ from the 16mm isn't great, and I'm not a fan of rectilinear lenses behind dome ports anymore now that there's better options out there. Too many compromises in terms of size and image quality (corner sharpness).

First, figure out if you want a fisheye or a rectilinear zoom type lens.

For Fisheye, look into the Tokina 10-17 or Canon 8-15 fisheye zooms with an adapter (Metabones IV works with both). You'll get excellent IQ and a very nice usable range with either option. One%2

Hi dreifish,

use the Tokina FE with my D500 now, earlier with D300.

Yesterday i had the chace to combinate the Canon version with the Sigma MC11,and that worked well and fast on a A6300.....
Will try now to find a port and then a Canon based macro lens.
The Canon 100mm IS was as slow as the Sony 90mm, and had the same troubles finding focus....

Will tell you, as soon i have better news...

Regards,
Wolfgang

Edited by trimix125

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements