Sign in to follow this  
reefsafe

Sony RX100VA owners Flash and battery life

I just bought an Sony RX100VA and one of the issues with it is poor battery life especially when using the flash to trigger strobes. In the menu there is an option for "Flash Compensation", which adjusts the amount of flash light in a range of –3.0 EV to +3.0 EV.

If I change the this to the lowest level i'm assuming it uses less power and so will extend camera battery life but will doing this have any affect on firing strobes ?

I have the RX100 VI and initially thought the same thing, but since you're most likely shooting TTL, the camera will then reduce the external strobes output according to how you've set the compensation.... In other words, the Sony cannot reduce the internal flash output to save battery life unfortunately!

Edited by stilly

I have the same camera. You can't dial down the flash exposure compensation to -3.0 in TTL or your pictures come out too dark. You will need to shoot in manual mode with manual strobe control to get the most out of the set-up.

I have the RX100 VI and initially thought the same thing, but since you're most likely shooting TTL, the camera will then reduce the external strobes output according to how you've set the compensation.... In other words, the Sony cannot reduce the internal flash output to save battery life unfortunately!

I have the same camera. You can't dial down the flash exposure compensation to -3.0 in TTL or your pictures come out too dark. You will need to shoot in manual mode with manual strobe control to get the most out of the set-up.

One more question, this camera doesn't have a Pre-flash so how does it work with TTL strobe?

Edited by reefsafe

The internal flash of the camera triggers the external strobes by way of an optical cable. Once the strobes fire, the camera's TTL metering system determines once the sensor gets enough light for the proper exposure. That is my understanding anyway...

The internal flash of the camera triggers the external strobes by way of an optical cable. Once the strobes fire, the camera's TTL metering system determines once the sensor gets enough light for the proper exposure. That is my understanding anyway...

I thought that was where the Pre-flash came into the equation but this camera doesn't have it.

RX100 definitely has pre-flash; in fact, you can't turn it off.

This. The pre-flash is too fast for you to differentiate it from the main flash. I have a YS-D2J and I can confirm it works with pre-flash because it will not expose a shot properly if you switch the strobe to the manual non pre-flash mode.

Edited by thegrandpoohbah
  • Like 2

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements