Kelpfish

Nauticam MWL-1 with Nikon D850

Posted (edited)

Hi everyone,

I just upgraded to the Nauticam D850 system and bought the new MWL-1 (macro wide lens). I took it out to shoot this weekend and it did not work. The frame and sunshades are in the image. Using this with the Nauticam flip adaptor. Only way to make it work was to remove the shades and set the D850 to 1.2 crop. That is not right. I know Alex Mustard has used it successfully and was wondering if anyone including Alex has any ideas on what is going on with my set up. Standard Macro port 60 with G version Nikon 60.

Strangely neither the SMC 1 or 2 work with my 105 G either. Only about 25mm working distance, which is simply not enough to work with.

Getting really frustrated after spending 17k on a new system.

Joe

Edited by Kelpfish

Hi: Are you using a 60mm full frame macro lens, and is the front of the lens close up to the port's window?

Good luck!

Hi everyone,

I just upgraded to the Nauticam D850 system and bought the new MWL-1 (macro wide lens). I took it out to shoot this weekend and it did not work. The frame and sunshades are in the image. Using this with the Nauticam flip adaptor. Only way to make it work was to remove the shades and set the D850 to 1.2 crop. That is not right. I know Alex Mustard has used it successfully and was wondering if anyone including Alex has any ideas on what is going on with my set up. Standard Macro port 60 with G version Nikon 60.

Strangely neither the SMC 1 or 2 work with my 105 G either. Only about 25mm working distance, which is simply not enough to work with.

Joe

I read this on Nauticam web site

Hi everyone,

Joe

Looks like it is vignetting which suggest the lens is too far from the port? Are you using the specific flip adapter for this lens? Spacing is really important to avoid vignetting

I had the same issue with the D810 Nauticam housing. Put the flip-on adapter and MWL-1 and had the vignetting. There is a video on Nauticam website about the correct installation which strangely enough doesnt talk about the issue. What you have to do is to make sure that the lips of the shade are positioned at the 12 and 6 oclock position. That for me required unscrewing 7 screws on the back of the MWL-1 and rotating the lens so the sunshade is in above mentioned alignment. It worked perfectly afterwards.

Ill post example images later.

Hi everyone,

Joe

Hi Joe, did you figured out why the SMC-1 didn't work with the 105 mm? I ordered one to use with the 105 mm and now I'm kind of scratching my head.

Thanks.

Posted (edited)

You must use one of the MWL flip holders or the included bayonet mount and rotate the sunshade. Make sure you're not in DX mode.

I've had no problems with it or the SMC.

Edited by JackConnick

I know that my partners in the US had responded to Joe in early January. But I do want to repeat here. (I didn't notice this post until now because I was at a diving trip then)

Both the MWL-1 and SMC-1 were designed for using underwater. You will see vignette when there is no water: 1) between the rear end of the lens and the port glass; and 2) water in front of the lens.

Edward

• Like 2

Sponsors

Advertisements