DS256

Traveling - iPad only or Macbook As Well

Posted (edited)

I'm use to traveling with both my iPad (books, news, games) and Macbook (email, photo backup, LR play time). In order to reduce the weight, complexity and space of both, I'm thinking of only taking my iPad. I'd get a SD and mini-SD reader that would allow me to back up the pictures to the cloud through the iPad. I take both RAW and JPG so I would be able to view and post pictures. My wife uses a GoPro.

No, I'm not on an edition of LR yet that would allow me to use LR on the iPad. That's a whole separate study which involves OS updates to both Windows and Macbook I've discovered. Maybe later.

I'm wondering if anyone else just uses their iPad and Cloud for backups when traveling and their experiences?

Thanks

Edited by DS256

Hi DS, I just picked up an iPad Pro that I'm hoping to replace my macbook air with. My primary use is for video editing. In your case I would suggest the following (which would work from any IOS device). I picked up a RavPower File Hub for $50, with this I can plug in a memory card to the SD card slot and then any USB data storage device in the USB slot and use the iPad/iPhone app to transfer everything from the SD card to the USB harddrive. Since both the SD and USB drive are physically connected to the RavPower device, you are getting USB 2.0 speeds and not using over the air transfer (which you can also do, but it's much slower).

I then use an SD card reader to load the SD card images (video in my case) to the iPad for editing. This way you are not relying on an internet connection to backup your photos.

I only use my MacBook for a few things these days (backing up one USB drive to another, and creating backups of my iPad / iPhone).

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the tip on RavPower File Hub brousseb. That looks useful. Like the idea of not relying on Internet access though I don't think I'll have any problems where I'm going.

I've moved away from carrying a laptop on dive trips. It just adds weight, and I don't use it for editing/cataloging anyway (I do this on my desktop when I return home). My iPad suffices if I want to do a quick edit for posting to Instagram/Facebook. I also carry an external hard drive (WD MyPassport) for backups so I don't have to worry about a reliable Internet connection.

Thanks Deinonych. I don't travel enough to warrant an external hardrive but would if I was going to places without known good wi-fi.

What I've done is the following and in many ways it's unique to me because I have my own web site I manage:

• Created a new FTP site to hold the photo's.
  • Purchase an ADATA SD/Micro-SD dongle with app that allows me to copy pictures from cards to iPad.
  • Downloaded a FTP Client so I can copy pictures from my iPad to the FTP site.
  • Brought along other USB based card readers as backup to use with free internet terminals in hotels.

Thanks Deinonych. I don't travel enough to warrant an external hardrive but would if I was going to places without known good wi-fi.

What I've done is the following and in many ways it's unique to me because I have my own web site I manage:

• Created a new FTP site to hold the photo's.
  • Purchase an ADATA SD/Micro-SD dongle with app that allows me to copy pictures from cards to iPad.
  • Downloaded a FTP Client so I can copy pictures from my iPad to the FTP site.
  • Brought along other USB based card readers as backup to use with free internet terminals in hotels.

Which dongle do you use? I might give this a go to backup my photos with OneDrive (assuming a good Internet connection of course).

Ive been using just an iPad for years.

I dont use the cloud. Note with the new iPad pro, my iPad is now more powerful than most laptops except the very high end. I also have a terabyte of storage. If you need it you will soon be able to run the full version of PS.

I do a download each day and use a different card for each day as a second backup.

Of course you still can not plug a portable HD into an iPad and move data back and forth. As noted above, there are work around s for this.

Davephd , my iPad is an older model so still has the lighting connector

Sponsors

Advertisements