String

Premiere colour correction?

Can anyone suggest tutorials or methods of colour correcting underwater video using Premiere Pro CC?

Im familiar with photography and Photoshop/LR for editing where i can simple for example correct water by just sampling it with the HSL dropper and dragging down luminance, hue etc

There seems to be no equivalent Premiere system that i can find for editing such as editing a single colour.

I've read around and it seems to suggest using the HSL Secondary but despite a long time of trying ive never been able to get an adequate selection to perform a similar task without artefacts being clear or bits of the water missed entirely.

So what is the standard technique used for removing a colour cast or say darkening blues and so on ? Its easy on stills but seems very very hard on video.

I'm not familiar with the toolset inside premiere (I'm an FCPX/Davinci Resolve user) but part of the limitation you're experiencing has to do with the fact that video files are only 8 bit and already quite compressed, whereas the photo files you're used to editing are raw. As such, you're not going to get great results trying to do selective grading like that.

Removing an overall color skew can probably be approached either using your white balance sliders, color wheels, or color curves. I think Premiere has all of those. If it doesn't by default, you probably can get plugins. Or download Davinci Resolve. It's free, and much more powerful.

Darkening just the water column... most likely not possible to get good results when working with 8 bit compressed files.

Sponsors

Advertisements