dreifish

Testing 3 10k+ lumen lights: Gates GT14 vs. Scubalamp V6K vs. Jaunt G18 Plus

Well we have had a shipment of 8x Jaunt G18+'s arrive :mocking:

attachicon.gif514DA64D-453C-4792-ABFB-468200F424B1.jpg

Just for info the batteries are now labelled 6800MAH - which brings them in at under 98Wh - so no issues with airplane transport

attachicon.gifIMG_1201.jpg

I bet the batteries haven’t changed just the sticker has. Anyway if I had to fork some money for lights it would be for Keldan Gates or light and motion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted (edited)

I bet the batteries haven’t changed just the sticker has.

I think you are right on the money there ;)

As to buying lights. I've had Keldan's before (Luna 8 CRI + the cyan modules), beautiful lights - but the build quality of these Jaunt's is very nice, and my ScubaLamp's previously have been very good too - not the same as Keldan I agree - but thats the only thing that can really differentiate between these cheaper brands and Gates and Keldan - as the LED arrays are from the same place, so light quality is the same, can't comment on the lithium 18650 quality either as they are sealed so perhaps Gates/Keldan are using nicer quality ones.

Edited by thetrickster

How long did it take from ordering to delivery Richard? Bought from Ali express directly?

I think you are right on the money there ;)

As to buying lights. I've had Keldan's before (Luna 8 CRI + the cyan modules), beautiful lights - but the build quality of these Jaunt's is very nice, and my ScubaLamp's previously have been very good too - not the same as Keldan I agree - but thats the only thing that can really differentiate between these cheaper brands and Gates and Keldan - as the LED arrays are from the same place, so light quality is the same, can't comment on the lithium 18650 quality either as they are sealed so perhaps Gates/Keldan are using nicer quality ones

But price - we are looking 1/4 the cost for same performance...

i think we need to define same performance

I have just used two 8x Keldan for a trip on loan and I have to say for me they are bulky but the ergonomics are phenomenal

1. The one off and the throttle are great and can be operated with gloves

2. The batteries have an indicator in minute of duration and charging times

3. The candela measurements are done in lab conditions

So you would need to put this light to the test and see if the claims of angle of coverage and power are true. For sure Keldan measurements are accurate

For Light and Motion there are some concerns as the battery can't be replaced but I have two sola since 2009 and they can be serviced for macro where you don't need power this lights are great and small to carry

I agree on the fact Keldan et co are expensive but this is because you get a reliable product that can go for years and it will be serviceable

• Like 1

So you would need to put this light to the test and see if the claims of angle of coverage and power are true. For sure Keldan measurements are accurate

Yeah for sure Keldan provide spectrum analysis of their lights, and you can be sure the power is bang on the money - and the charging activity and battery level stuff is real nice now - mine had the older LED indicator, not the newer LCD display. My units also used the Luminus Devices COB array's s and not CREE.

Some of the claims by some of the lesser know manufacturers are crazy (looking at 10,000lm lights on ebay and Alibaba what a joke! - there is some shady units on offer :) )

But it was drefish's tests above that has shown that the power and beam angle is definitely there from these lights (and burn-time), and quizzing Jaunt directly they have provided the exact model and binning id's of the CREE CXB3690 modules used - so I have no doubt to the output or their claims. The big on/off button on the G18 is a nice improvement over the V6K button - and I will say the Keldan magnetic switch isn't without issue - one didn't work 100% for me below 80m, I had to go passed the first click and the back to engage level 1.

I'm spending my own money (sadly) - so some factor of budgeting is needed - and these Jaunt seem to hit a real sweet spot.

If I was spending someone else's money - yeah I'd be all over the 24x Keldan's :)

How long did it take from ordering to delivery Richard? Bought from Ali express directly?

After payment was received, they were delivered via DHL Express in 5 days yesterday. Very impressed.

• Like 1

So richard those are 18000 with 95 degrees angle in air?

95' in water - 140' in air = due to the flat port.

For comparison,

Keldan 8X are 110' in water, 120' in air due to the dome

Posted (edited)

95' in water - 140' in air = due to the flat port.

For comparison,

Keldan 8X are 110' in water, 120' in air due to the dome

Thanks for the info and what lens are you planning to match to those lights? I am curious about the lens arms light combination that is most efficient

For the WWL-1 I am interested in the arms length

Edited by Interceptor121

I am curious about the lens arms light combination that is most efficient

For the WWL-1 I am interested in the arms length

Lens: WWL1 with the 14-42mm

Arms will be standard 8” + 90’ 220mm Nauticam carbon float

Lens: WWL1 with the 14-42mm

Arms will be standard 8” + 90’ 220mm Nauticam carbon float

So effectively 2x 8” or 200mm

I have had a discussion with Keldan regarding the candela output. The values reported in their website are tested for example the 8x has 6500 candela and the 4x 3900 candela so the $/cd metric is different from the calculation as the beam is not really conical. However none of the other manufacturers have really run tests so we can't really compare

One thing that I am slightly puzzled is to what extent you can see the benefit of higher CRI. LED have typically 82 and can go up to 96 but can you see it? And in which cases

I've never done a precise measurement (and I wish I had taken side-by-side photos) but when I tested the the Keldan Luna 8x, it was noticeably less effective at restoring color than the Gates GT14s in water. If the 8x is really outputting 6500 candela compared to Gates' calculated 7600 candela, that's only a 17% difference.. it should've barely been noticeable at all, and it definitely was noticeable. I'd rate the difference as somewhere between 1/2 and 2/3 of a stop.

I've never done a precise measurement (and I wish I had taken side-by-side photos) but when I tested the the Keldan Luna 8x, it was noticeably less effective at restoring color than the Gates GT14s in water. If the 8x is really outputting 6500 candela compared to Gates' calculated 7600 candela, that's only a 17% difference.. it should've barely been noticeable at all, and it definitely was noticeable. I'd rate the difference as somewhere between 1/2 and 2/3 of a stop.

I am not talking about the Luna but the 8x that have 5600 candela in the 82 CRI version. In any case gates are at least 20% more powerful as they have a narrower range so in that range the intensity will be much higher

I read about this too and wondered how they got 18,000lm from a nominally rated 12,000lm COB array - hence why I asked them directly what model and binning they used. I too was a bit weary about the claim too.

They are using the 5000k 72v variant with the CD binning - order code: CXB3590-0000- 000R0UCD50G.
As the CXB3590 has a max efficiency of 174 lumen per watt (https://www.cree.com/led-components/products/xlamp-leds-integrated-arrays/xlamp-cxb3590) and with the G18+ battery putting out 103.6 Watts (14.8v * 7000mA) - that gets to you 18,026 Lumens.
From the PDF, it seems you can drive the COB arrays at higher voltages (up to 78v) and higher amps (up to 1800mA) which provides you will the higher Lumen rating than the nominal 12,000lm at 1200mA at 85'c, plus we are running these under cool water, so the constant output won't drop.
I'm sure they aren't outputting the full 18,000lm (as that is the optimal output) but as they are similar as the GT14 from Drefish tests, so we are definitely getting massive output in the > 15,000lm+ region.
  • Like 1

I read about this too and wondered how they got 18,000lm from a nominally rated 12,000lm COB array - hence why I asked them directly what model and binning they used. I too was a bit weary about the claim too.

They are using the 5000k 72v variant with the CD binning - order code: CXB3590-0000- 000R0UCD50G.
As the CXB3590 has a max efficiency of 174 lumen per watt (https://www.cree.com/led-components/products/xlamp-leds-integrated-arrays/xlamp-cxb3590) and with the G18+ battery putting out 103.6 Watts (14.8v * 7000mA) - that gets to you 18,026 Lumens.
From the PDF, it seems you can drive the COB arrays at higher voltages (up to 78v) and higher amps (up to 1800mA) which provides you will the higher Lumen rating than the nominal 12,000lm at 1200mA at 85'c, plus we are running these under cool water, so the constant output won't drop.
I'm sure they aren't outputting the full 18,000lm (as that is the optimal output) but as they are similar as the GT14 from Drefish tests, so we are definitely getting massive output in the > 15,000lm+ region.

Sounds reasonable assumption. Still am a bit wondering about the battery but hey Chinese supplier for you

Does anyone know the depth rating of the Jaunt lights?

100m :-)

Does anyone know the depth rating of the Jaunt lights?

100m :-)

Posted (edited)

I just bought the Big Blue CB15000P. I've seen it mentioned a couple times here that their Beam angle is 120 degrees. According to their website the beam angle is 160 degrees. Which seems a plus to me seeing I shoot a lot of WA. We shall see in a couple weeks when I road test them in the Philippines.

https://bigbluedivelights.com/products/15000-lumen-warm-white-video-light/

Edited by sideways

I just bought the Big Blue CB15000P. I've seen it mentioned a couple times here that their Beam angle is 120 degrees. According to their website the beam angle is 160 degrees. Which seems a plus to me seeing I shoot a lot of WA. We shall see in a couple weeks when I road test them in the Philippines.

https://bigbluedivelights.com/products/15000-lumen-warm-white-video-light/

That's 160 degrees in air, or 120 degrees in water (since they use a flat front, not a dome) I suspect. Nonetheless, unless you're filming with a fisheye lens a 120 degree beam angle is not actually necessary since a lot of that light will fall outside the angle of view of your lens. With a typical rectilinear wide angle lens and 2 torch setup, a 90-100* beam angle is plenty and will concentrate more of the light in the area you're actually filming.

That's 160 degrees in air, or 120 degrees in water (since they use a flat front, not a dome) I suspect. Nonetheless, unless you're filming with a fisheye lens a 120 degree beam angle is not actually necessary since a lot of that light will fall outside the angle of view of your lens. With a typical rectilinear wide angle lens and 2 torch setup, a 90-100* beam angle is plenty and will concentrate more of the light in the area you're actually filming.

Well that sure is a little deceiving. I see nowhere on the product page that it says 160 degrees in air. Yes, I shoot a fisheye lens.

Yesterday I tested two G18 Plus in a pool in controlled environment will be posting a full review on my blog soon

• Like 1

I have been doing some modelling and i can confirm that except for the edges 95 degrees lights cover the WWL-1 frame in full except maybe some extreme edges and cover all rectilienear lenses like the 7-14 and 8-18 in 16:9 format

8mm fisheye will have dark sides and edges and will need 120 degrees lights

Sponsors

Advertisements