water buffalo

WTB broken or flooded Olympus PT-058 housing for TG-5

Hi, a few suggestions:

1. Ask Olympus if they will replace or sell you the zoom lever.

2. 3D print the part.

3. If the lever's shaft is broken, replace it with a stainless screw.

Best of luck!

Good luck. Hopefully, Olympus has become more customer orientated on parts, etc. than they were some years ago when I attempted to get a replacement part that wasn't even attached to the housing for a PT-023.

Before I posted this WTB I called Olympus (800 622-6372) and talked with a person named Sebastian. His verbal price estimate was USD$118.74 ($134.59 with shipping). That seemed a little steep for such a small item but that is the minimum. On the plus side it would include a pressure test.

I do realize there could be something else wrong with the housing. Some kind of impact, whether shipping or user handling, broke the part. If this was an expensive camera I would probably just send it in. But it is not.

3D printing the part is probably the only way we will be able to acquire plastic parts like this unless we can scavenge one from another housing. Olympus and, in my experience, most other major camera manufacturers, don't want anything to do with end users fixing their broken equipment.

So thanks, fellas, for the suggestions and feedback. I knew locating a broken housing would be a long shot but people hit lotteries every day.

Hi: I am not surprised to hear about the shabby way Olympus responded, they refused to fix one of my cameras.

Would you please post photos of the broken plastic part, as maybe somebody can come up with a good suggestion.

Sponsors

Advertisements