Sign in to follow this  
chrisdarke

Compact setup with flash triggers

Hi guys,

I used to use an RX100 in a Nauticam housing with YS-D1 & D2, and then I upgraded to a D500 in an Aquatica housing with an LED Flash trigger and I love not having to deal with the built in camera flash recharge time, and consequent battery drainage.

However sometimes the DSLR setup is pretty bulky when traveling, and I wouldnt mind a backup setup that is more or less compact and as a backup, and whilst I still have the RX100 setup, I would love something with which I can use an LED trigger or a bulkhead connection if that isnt feasible. The only rigs I have seen that have an led trigger seem to be dslr/mirror less..

Cheers!

Chris

RX100M2 has a flash hotshoe, but it's the only model in the line that does. Panasonic LX100 also has one. Otherwise, many mirrorless cameras are almost as small as a compact when used with a small lens - Olympus PEN series, Sony NEX and A5xxx/A6xxx, etc. Keep in mind, however, that a LED trigger made for one camera brand is unlikely to work with a different brand, particularly where TTL is concerned.

Thanks for your reply, it was more a question of which housings support such a setup. Most led triggers need to be correctly aligned and positioned for the led ports to get the trigger through and I looked at compact housings for many cameras including the rx100mk2 which I was aware was the only one in the lineup with a hotshoe, but none of the housings I could find mentioned a led trigger option.. certainly with my aquatica led trigger it would never fit in the pop up flash space of my nauticam housing... so I am looking for a compact housing that supports an led trigger or at least an ikelite type bulkhead connector

If I remember correctly, TRT Electronics Turtle trigger has its LEDs on wires, so that they can be freely positioned where needed by the specific housing.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements