Sign in to follow this  
dreifish

Raja Ampat -- clear-water mangroves

Fringed by tropical rainforest and coral reefs, the clear-water mangroves of Raja Ampat, Indonesia are the filtration plan of the ocean. Mangroves trap sediments flowing down rivers and off the land; without the mangroves, coastal reefs would be smothered by the runoff, blocking off the vital sunlight that the coral needs for growth.

The dense root systems of a mangrove forest protect the coastline from erosion from storms, are home to a large variety of fish, crab, shrimp, and mollusk species, and provide a vital nursery for many reef and pelagic fish species as well.

A study on the Mesoamerican reef, for example, showed that there are as many as 25 times more fish of some species on reefs close to mangrove areas than in areas where mangroves have been cut down. This makes mangrove forests vitally important to coral reef and commercial fisheries as well.

Filmed in the mangroves surrounding Yangeffo island and west Waisai aboard the Blue Manta live-aboard. For booking inquiries, contact White Manta Diving at www.whitemanta.com.

Edited by dreifish
  • Like 5

lovely

I just cameback from whitemanta, its awesome footage - how did you shhot aerial ? did you take some plane ?

Hi Miru,

No, it's all filmed from a drone :) An Inspire 2 to be precise.

Yep, large sections of it are slowed down from 60p to 24p.

Thank you for your reply :) I think you are using Keldan, do you use cyan filter?

No Miru, no blue filters. I have 2 Gates GT14s paired up with 2 Scubalamp V6Ks for lighting. Some of the shots, like the wobbegone shark, are also just ambient light.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements