diver dave1

Back Button Focus for D7000 in Nauticam housing

I want to use back button focus on my D7000 used in a Nauticam housing.

As far as I can tell so far, all of the buttons I can program are not accessible using the NA-D7000 housing. I would think there is some kind of work around.

Who knows what it is and how to separate focus from shutter release using this housing and camera?

thanks in advance.

Hi, diver dave 1: I am not sure I understand your question, but:

Go to

Menu > Custom Setting > C1 Shutter-release button AE-L, set it ON,

you can focus with your index by half-pressing the shutter button, and trip the shutter with your thumb.

Photos of the Nauticam NA D7000 seem to show it has an AE-L lever.

Hope this does it.

Edited by Kraken de Mabini

Kraken,

Thank you for the attempt to help. My problem is that the Nauticam NA-D7000 housing does not appear to allow me access to ANY assignable button on the camera when the camera is in the housing.

So while I know how to set the AE-L button, I cannot access it underwater. If I set it before putting the camera in the housing, I could never focus underwater.

I am hoping I am wrong and overlooked something or there is someway around this issue. Thus the plea for assistance.

Diver Dave,

WP's review of the NA-D7000 by Alex Mustard discusses the use of the BBF using the AE-L/AF-L button on the back on page 2 of the review. Google it. I cannot copy/paste from it for some reason. I shoot Aquatica with my D7000 and use BBF using the same technique that Dr. Mustard describes. BBF is so common in UW photog that I cannot believe that Nauticam housing doesn't allow it. And Dr. Mustard's review implies that he uses it and there is a way to control the AE-L/AF-L button via the housing. Since I don't have a Nauticam housing, I cannot help any further.

It appears that you understand that CSM f5 is the way to reprogram the AE-L/AF-L button to AF-ON for BBF.

Harry

Edited by divengolf

Hi, diver dave:

Does the Nauticam housing allow you to switch from Custom Setting U1 to U2 on the Shooting Mode dial, camera top left?

If so, once you have set the Menu to your wishes, maybe you can assign your settings to U1 and U2 for underwater access.

Best of luck!

The results of having too many things going at once and not enough detail in them.

The D7000 does have access to the AEl/AFL button.

So clearly, I was wrong.

Commentator, please just delete this entire topic. I do not want to mislead others in the future.

The results of having too many things going at once and not enough detail in them.

The D7000 does have access to the AEl/AFL button.

So clearly, I was wrong.

Commentator, please just delete this entire topic. I do not want to mislead others in the future.

No problem, Dave.

We'll leave these posts as they are as there could be useful info for other future readers. Good that you have a solution :dancing:

Sponsors

Advertisements