dreifish

Tested: Strobe vs 14k lumen Video Light; Sea & Sea YS-D2 vs. Gates GT14

I was curious to determine just how much more powerful strobes are than video lights, so I put together a little test where I shot my Sea & Sea YS-D2 and Gates GT14 light side by side and tried to match the resulting exposure with each of them at full power.

Setup:

post-42872-0-14977400-1547194312_thumb.jpeg

Shot in a cave to reduce ambient light impact using a Panasonic GH5 with Canon 8-15mm fisheye at 6mm using a Viltrox 0.71x speedbooster for the widest possible field of view in order to demonstrate the shape of the resulting beam from each light. The target wall was about 1m away from the camera.

For the YS-D2, I removed the diffuser to judge the strobe's full power. As you'll see below, this produced a slightly narrower beam spread with a more pronounced hotspot than the GT14 achieved. There is also a notable color temperature difference (as the specs predict) with the GT14 being about 300k warmer than the YS-D2.

Here are the resulting exposures to illustrate the beam spread and the power:

Left GT14 at F2.8, 1/250, ISO 200; Right YS-D2 at F16, 1/250, ISO 100;

post-42872-0-20421400-1547194723_thumb.jpgpost-42872-0-72897600-1547194761_thumb.jpg

Conclusion

The unmodified YS-D2 strobe at full power is somewhere between 5 and 6 stops brighter than the Gates GT14. Let's say it outputs about five stops more light (i.e. it is 32 times brighter) once you account for the fact that the light is concentrated into a slightly narrower cone.

So if you wanted a video light that matches the light output of the YS-D2, you'd need a 448,000 lumen light. Imagine -- two video lights putting out 1 million lumens. I'd say we're a little ways away from completely replacing strobes with video lights for photography :)

• Like 2

Another great test dreifish. Can’t help but to be a little jealous of the photographers who have it so much easier haha.

Gee, we are some way off...

Thanks Dreifish - another great illustrative example showing real world differences. You are lucky to have access to all these toys :)

Yes we have some way to go to match flash power, however saying that it was only 3-4yrs ago we had the OrcaLight 22,000lm, which was/is a massive corded light with a massive battery pack - now we have 18,000lm in a relatively small body.

Sponsors

Advertisements