Sign in to follow this  
glamourpuss

Testing old gear

I have an ikelite DS 125 and a DS 160. They've been dry for about 5 years. Wondering what you guys would suggest to test them out. Obviously ordering new o-rings would be the first step. But with ikelite's 5 week turn around on servicing I don't have time to send them in. Open to suggestions and creative solutions.

PS. I live in a small town.

Thx.

Do your strobes use the NIMH battery packs? NIMH batteries in general don't handle long periods of time in storage well. The best advice is to leave them plugged in trickle-charging if you're going to not use them for 1 month or longer.

The obvious way to test them is to just hook them up to the camera and take a few test shots on land. You may find that your battery packs don't hold a charge (or have been reduced substantially in their capacity).

Swapping out the o-rings for new ones wouldn't hurt for extra piece of mind. Otherwise, what are you trying to test them for? What are you worried about? If they were stored in a dry, cool environment, they should work just fine. And as I mentioned, that's easy to test by just setting up your system and taking a few test shots on land.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements