Sign in to follow this  
jsparks

I have my 20D now bring on the housing choices!!

Picked up my new 20D yesterday (so far so good!!). Any news from the housing manufacturers? Ike?

Sure, sure. Rub it in. Us undesireable types can only wish for a 20D while the privileged flaunt their superior position............

Ike, it may be worth your effort to house this one. I've read some impressive things about this camera. Somebody at dpreview forum reported that it can autofocus in a dark room with only the light from his clock! Maybe jsparks can verify this.

herbko, just tried your suggested autofocus experiment. Focused perfectly on my Timex Indiglo alarm clock with no other light in the room.

Ike, what is your time line on this housing?

20D will install in the same basic housing we utilize for the 10D, but will take twice as long as it should to nail together the first batch. Will be interesting to see how it operates with eTTL conversion circuitry. The following URL shows first photos of the LEDs and eTTL pushbuttons:

http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/2canonTTL.html

herbko, just tried your suggested autofocus experiment.  Focused perfectly on my Timex Indiglo alarm clock with no other light in the room.

Ike, what is your time line on this housing?

Focusing on the light source is no big deal. The DRebel can do that. This guy claims he can focus on things near by lit by his clock. That's impressive!

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp...essage=10261021

Ike,

The 20D is eTTL 2. I assume that makes a difference. Why will it take twice as long for the first batch?

Herbko,

I will try to focus away from the light tonight and provide an update.

20D will install in the same basic housing we utilize for the 10D, but will take twice as long as it should to nail together the first batch.  Will be interesting to see how it operates with eTTL conversion circuitry.  The following URL shows first photos of the LEDs and eTTL pushbuttons:

I am now a dribbiling wreck. I was already wetting myself waiting for my 20D to turn up in my local camera shop in the UK, and now I am being driven wild by the pictures of the eTTL conversion on your web page.

What exactly does "but require update to provide optimum performance" for the DS125 mean? Can this be done by your distributor in the uk (www.camerasunderwater.com) or do they have to send it back to you.

Please don't forget us Brits when you start shipping your finished housings.

Cheers

Gary

20D will install in the same basic housing we utilize for the 10D, but will take twice as long as it should to nail together the first batch.  Will be interesting to see how it operates with eTTL conversion circuitry.  The following URL shows first photos of the LEDs and eTTL pushbuttons:

I am now a dribbiling wreck. I was already wetting myself waiting for my 20D to turn up in my local camera shop in the UK, and now I am being driven wild by the pictures of the eTTL conversion on your web page.

What exactly does "but require update to provide optimum performance" for the DS125 mean? Can this be done by your distributor in the uk (www.camerasunderwater.com) or do they have to send it back to you.

Please don't forget us Brits when you start shipping your finished housings.

Cheers

Gary

Oops sorry, your web site does tell me why it needs to be done, got a bit over excited there. I would still like to know if it can be done in the UK though.

Cheers

Gary

As another UK Canon user (300D) am i right in that the ETTL can be retrofitted to the Ike housing (just swop the backplates ?). Also am I right in assuming that if I convert to ETTL I can do away with the manual controller. Finally - will the existing DS125 to housing cable need replacing.

Tha ETTL set up looks goooooooooood !!! - How much ?????

Ikelite did receive a 20D camera today. Our iTTL circuitry will need revision for this camera.

Kirky: eTTL can be retrofitted if housing is returned to us. Need several months to catch up before we start updates. Swap of backplates is possible, but we could check controls if housing is sent to us. The eTTL circuitry includes manual strobe control capability. New #4103.51 (or #4103.52 dual strobes) digital sync cord is required.

Latest info and pictures of installation: http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/2canonTTL.html

Ike, a bunch of ETTL questions.

Is the upgrade back compatible? Can you still use old strobes(in manual) with old sync cords or with the manual controler?

With the dual sync cord can you use one strobe in E-TTL and the other in manual(power level set on the strobe) or with manual controler?

How well does ETTL work with your wireless TTL slaves?

It looks like the circuitry is imbedded in the baseplate? To what extent is the e-ttl circuitry waterproof/resistent?

Non-digital SubStrobes with old sync cords can be used. Circuitry senses no power from the strobe so reverts to manual operation. One eTTL strobe can be combined with a SubStrobe set to manual or with EV Controller, but this should be on "secondary" side of the dual cord. TTL slave sensor with a digital SubStrobe should follow an eTTL controlled strobe. Circuitry is covered by the baseplate but not waterproof. You ain't supposed to have water in the housing.

You ain't supposed to have water in the housing

Why not? :)

Ike, looks awesome, I'm really very impressed. Now all you need is a 1D MkII housing... :)

Ike,

Can you describe how dual strobes will operate with the eTTL ciruitry? If I have 2 DS-125s will I be able to control the output ratio of the strobes while in TTL mode?

Also, would it be possible to make a kit for the 20D enclosure that would allow a 10D to be mounted in the 20D case, even if all the controls didn't line up, it would be great to be able to use my 10D as a backup. Could this be as simple as offering the 10D backplate for sale independantly?

The hope is dual strobes will operate fine with the eTTL circuitry. Output ratio is changed by varying the strobe placement.............

I am now very interested in this camera. I was originally thinking of getting a D70, but it seems that the autofocus on this camera is better and faster than the D70 (can anybody confirm this??), and second because of Ike's eTTL support. Please Ike, update us with a release date for the housing. Thanks!

maybe .... in two or three years if we are lucky :-)

it is "planned". but that does not mean anything from my point of view.

I think Ikelite looks more promising to have 20D E-TTL ready soon.

Julian

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements