Miru

Nauticam - BMPCC 4K

Blackmagic released today a firmware update allowing Blackmagic raw recording internally. Lets hope will see some underwater footage soon.

• Like 1

Ouch. Thats one expensive housing.

Looking forward to someone getting one underwater, will be interesting to see if its worth it. Odd that Nauticam went with the older M18 port for HDMI.

Its shame that the image quality isnt a massive jump from the GH series as I would be tempted - always fancied a RAW capable video camera.

Hears hoping the GH6 gets ProResRAW...

• Like 1

Ouch. Thats one expensive housing.

Looking forward to someone getting one underwater, will be interesting to see if its worth it. Odd that Nauticam went with the older M18 port for HDMI.

Its shame that the image quality isnt a massive jump from the GH series as I would be tempted - always fancied a RAW capable video camera.

Hears hoping the GH6 gets ProResRAW...

I think the first time they uploaded the picture of the housing to nauticam website it was the sample model. Seem like they already removed all the picture and right now added picture which show M24 port for HDMI for the housing. Wonder if that 12bit raw file will be much improvement underwater.

• Like 1

Nice spot! Thats different - and a welcome update!

I know that HDMI 2.0 isnt really needed - as I believe its limited to 1080 on the BMPCC4K - but makes it easier to use the upcoming monitor options which I presume will all be M24 going forward.

Looks like a 3month wait for new orders on BMPCC4Ks - must be very popular

Awesome! And now we have BMRAW internally, so the combination with the 5" monitor seriously reduces the need for an external monitor/recorder.

The housing is more expensive than I'd like, but I believe it comes in at the same price point as the old Black Magic housings Nauticam made and very similar to their DSLR housings, so part of that may be the size of the thing.

$3900 for the housing. + $1300 for the camera = $5200. A GH5 would be $1450 for the body + $2850 for the housing, so around $4300. Not such a huge difference in the end. Certainly cheaper than getting a GH5 + housing + Ninja 5 + housing (if that ever becomes available) or a Nikon Z7 + external recorder to get ProresRaw.

Looking forward to samples of what it can do underwater. I'm sorely tempted to buy one. And BMRAW integration into FCPX.

• Like 1

Great find!

Taking nothing away from his cinematography - as it’s a great little piece. Love the inquisitive fish!

But I’m not sure what to think, perhaps I’m expecting more from it. Perhaps Im expecting too much.

Colours remind me of GH4 tbh - which is a bit of a surprise.

I think the dynamic range looks good- no harsh roll off, and it has a lovely organic feel to it.

But not sure....would I spend $3.5k ($5.5k on new kit, $2k back from the GH5) on moving from my GH5 / Atomos combo. You can defo see the lack of IBIS and OIS with the camera and 7-14mm lens.

I really *really* want to love it, and I really fancy trying RAW, 4K and 12Bit (I have a body on preorder) and for me, it’s a much smaller package for travel - but that video hasn’t sold me...

Great to know they are out there in the wild, await more footage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Same clip with a different grade

Like Richard not convinced. True its only 1 clip and in bad conditions but still i was expecting something different.

Looks very much like the GH4

I am not sure a bigger screen negates the need for a monitor that in certain situations is required

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My main take-away from that sample is that at depth, without lights, you're not going to get great results regardless of whether you do a custom white balance in situ or shoot raw and do a custom white balance after. This footage appears to be shot below 10 meters, so we can't really expect amazing colors. The water clarity may also account for the desaturated overall look (or it could be a conscious decision made in the post-processing).

I agree though that this particular clip doesn't showcase anything that couldn't be achieved on a GH5 already. Stability looks decent (at least there's no distracting micro-jitters). Highlight rolloff looks quite organic. Having the option to set white balance in post adds a lot of flexibility, even if it doesn't necessarily allow you to achieve anything you couldn't already do with a GH5 if you properly set custom white balance when shooting.

The purple water column (e.g. at 0:22) is concerning though and does remind me of the GH4 results as well. Interested to see what the camera can do in clear tropical waters..

White balance in great conditions works to 20 meters however this means shooting with ambient light

For close shots below 10 meters and for anything below 20 lights are dominant and if you have enough power auto white balance works just fine

When am taking stills and I have enough power and no hot spots I never white balance raw files plus the white balance of the scene as a whole is set and will shift altogether so even with raw files you need light

Hard to tell without knowing the depth each individual shot in the little clip. I’m reserving judgement until more footage comes out. Good to see the camera is out there tho!

The guy posted the settings used:

“31-66ft, Braw Q0, set WB to 8000k”

Oh. Well then I’d say it looks pretty good color wise, especially for poor conditions! Excited to see more!

The guy posted the settings used:

“31-66ft, Braw Q0, set WB to 8000k”

Can the new camera set wb or is it just colour temperature setting??

Interesting RAW editing observation with the BMPCC4k..

Due to the dual ISO configuration, you are only able to change the ISO values in Resolve within the two individual ranges [100-1000] [1250-25600] - so if you wanted to go from 800 to 1600, this is no possible.

• Like 1

Due to the dual ISO configuration, you are only able to change the ISO values in Resolve within the two individual ranges [100-1000] [1250-25600] - so if you wanted to go from 800 to 1600, this is no possible.

This I guess inside the same clip but not overall?

This I guess inside the same clip but not overall?

Yes this is per clip. As you can modify the iso, white balance, tint on a per clip basis.

Yes this is per clip. As you can modify the iso, white balance, tint on a per clip basis.

This is not a big issue unless you go into a cave your shots should range max 2 stops overall

Agreed. Just thought it was interesting, if you were already at ISO 800 and wanted another stop on top, you wouldn’t be able to do it via raw.

Posted (edited)

This video does a good job explaining the two iso ranges:

Edited by thani

For people considering the BMPCC4k or a GH5 (or people looking at upgrading...)

I've tried my best to match the housing sizing to get an idea on travel sizing. Top I've matched the n85 port and front latch. Bottom matching the rear latch sizing and vacuum led size - its not 100% but enough to showcase the relative housing sizing.

post-43742-0-80932400-1552922184_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Assuming that you don't need a monitor (and I think you still do) the dimensions are fine

Sponsors

Advertisements