Miru

Nauticam - BMPCC 4K

SSD holder with drive in situ. As you can see it’s made specifically for the T5 drive - not sure anything else would fit

a2bf2df00d1b01350239ad59d4c3e08e.jpg

If you unscreew the T5 holder I think you can install a 2.5" SSD like this...7694fdf8713957a46338364a4b654283.jpg

No, I got 2x the 1TB drives. Thought it would be safer.

Says transfer rates are 540MBs using USB3.1 Gen2

Write / Read speeds according to a quick test are 420MBs write / 430MBs read on my old work MacBookPro (non USB-C only USB3.0) using the BM Drive Speed tester.

Will test with my 2018 MacBookPro (with USB-C) later

420 Mb/s is more than enough to rec in Q0...

Still waiting for a clip in clear blue water, with high dynamic range scenes and strong color contrast to evaluate the camera and the BRAW. So far all clips are easy non demanding clips for the camera mainly due to bad visibility.

• Like 2

I don't see reasons to switch camera so far

• Like 1

Those type of videos don’t really show the camera potential then i wonder of any will. I was in bahamas shooting the surface and bright sand black sharks and I had no clipping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe it's his choice but colors appear washed out to me (like in the previous video) and a bit soft too. Like seeing log clips before applying a LUT.

He knows his job anyway.

Maybe it's his choice but colors appear washed out to me (like in the previous video) and a bit soft too. Like seeing log clips before applying a LUT.

He knows his job anyway.

Ungraded...

Hahaha I did not read description.

I casted the link directmy on my tv. Sorry.

RTFD

• Like 1

Finally got delivery of the USB-C 90’ degree adaptors from amazon.

Definitely takes some of the strain off the ports (hearing some horror stories about how they are crap on the BMPCC4K forums)

ea9acbd00a1c7b9b5d77f1c7ae95db55.jpg

(FYI The Nauticam cable set is the same adaptors, but with a AngelBird 22cm USB-C cable.)

From some testing in the pool last week. The camera with the WWL fitted is around -440g negative and very front heavy. Interestingly adding my Inferno, not only gets the in-water wait to around -180g (fresh) but also completely makes the whole thing sit flat in the water. Let it go and it stays in the horizontal position and very very slowly sinks without and tilting. Bonus.

• Like 2

I am not sure if publishing to youtube in HD that means a really small bitrate does this clip any favour. On my 5K monitor it looks terrible

Still nothing to rave about. The shots are very shallow so they should have been more vibrant and a custom white balance would help. We ve seen images from many other cameras in that depth range which looked good straight out of the box.

Still nothing to rave about. The shots are very shallow so they should have been more vibrant and a custom white balance would help. We ve seen images from many other cameras in that depth range which looked good straight out of the box.

I would say this clip is actually the opposite and it must be down to compression in the first 20 seconds the reflections are full of artefacts the situation improves around 1 minute but overall looks bad

Of all the clips so far the only one that gives a real idea is the one from backscatter the rest are not relevant or actually not helping sell this camera

Posted (edited)

More clips from Australia

https://vimeo.com/335799912

I think this give an excellent idea that if the colours are not there to start there no magic raw to bring them back

Edited by Interceptor121

I think the colours and tonality look great.

He was shooting in ProRes for whatever reasons, you would think the whole idea of the BM cameras is using RAW for the 12bit mind.

I think the colours and tonality look great.

He was shooting in ProRes for whatever reasons, you would think the whole idea of the BM cameras is using RAW for the 12bit mind.

You can achieve those colours shooting 50mbps i think he white balance on sand. Anyway still nothing to rave about

He has another clip on vimeo that gad more variety of shots but can’t be embedded

I see nothing wrong with these clips.To my taste I would add some contrast and saturation. Maybe he likes them in this way.

I suppose BMCC 4K has color profiles (???). Who knows which one he used.

The clip on vimeo can be downloaded the file is pretty basic not even 10 bits and bit rate is low for H264. In terms of the clips itself the usual situations color in the foreground with lights ok background dim that you can't correct no matter what

The guy is pretty stable though considering is shooting a lens without stabilisation so he has nothing at all to help him that must be the reason why the shark trip is slow mo

ideo

ID : 2

Format : AVC

Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec

Format profile : High@L5.1

Format settings : CABAC / 2 Ref Frames

Format settings, CABAC : Yes

Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames

Codec ID : avc1

Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding

Duration : 3 min 8 s

Bit rate mode : Variable

Bit rate : 19.6 Mb/s

Maximum bit rate : 768 kb/s

Width : 3 840 pixels

Height : 2 160 pixels

Display aspect ratio : 16:9

Frame rate mode : Constant

Frame rate : 25.000 FPS

Color space : YUV

Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0

Bit depth : 8 bits

Scan type : Progressive

Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.095

Stream size : 442 MiB (99%)

Title : Core Media Video

Encoded date : UTC 2019-05-09 17:47:21

Tagged date : UTC 2019-05-09 17:57:12

Color range : Limited

Color primaries : BT.709

Transfer characteristics : BT.709

Matrix coefficients : BT.709

Posted (edited)

Finally got out and dived this weekend with the BMPCC4K.

Was mainly shooting ambient lighting in 8-25m of water with no filters or lights. I got a couple of shots with lights, but haven't look at these yet.

So fair I was impressed with the housing handling (button layout probably not as good as the GH5 housing if I'm honest - would be nice to have the AF button on a thumb lever, more than a push button on the rear) but button layout is good enough. I purchased the hand strap, but this is not good combo, as you need to move your hand to reach the front dial to change aperture, so took it off as it got in the way.

Screen, in shallow waters, it was hard to see, the focus assist (when you could see it) was very clear, and I found, once I had focused it initially at the beginning of the dive, I didn't need to touch it again. Getting a bit deeper, the screen was lovely, with a clean layout and no lag. Looking forward to adding the 7" atop for better ergo with a deep hood.

Buoyancy needs work, as I was a bit negative and front heavy, but as I found in the pool with the inferno it should balance out nicely.

Really impressed with the highlight handling, close to the surface it didn't blowout the surface like my GH4 and GH5 would have. Colour handling very similar to the GH5, obviously it can't restore what isn't there, but no banding or compression issues either when playing with the colour wheels and channel mixer in Resolve.

Q0 at 60p 4K DCI was no problem with the Samsung T5 drives, no dropped frames or issues. The HFR button is a real nice feature, you tell the camera you want to film in 30p and the HFR button will switch to 30p/60p - but on import to Resolve, it will automatically mark the 60p clips for slowdown. Nice.

A few clips I had a quick look at and play with last night. Need to spend more time with Resolve (as I'm used to FCPX) but happy with the results so far.

Will post up some straight from camera BRAW files later today / tomorrow for anyone interested. (They are huge mind..)

One BIG issue which has reared its head, is due to the camera not doing any in-camera lens corrections (one of the reasons I wanted the BMPCC4k) - the side petals of the WWL-1 are visible in shot shots (I presume due to the OIS in the lens moving) so a slight crop-in (in-post) is needed. I haven't tried it with the OIS turned off - but something to consider.

Overall, from my initial dive, I'm super pleased with the camera and what Nauticam have done with the housing.

Edited by thetrickster
  • Like 4

Sponsors

Advertisements