Kelpfish

Nikon 8-15 question

Hi everyone,

I trialed the Nikon 8-15 two weeks ago and it is indeed a tricky lens to use. I managed to squeeze out a couple keepers. From a lighting standpoint, has anyone tried this lens with a snoot, something around 70-80 degrees for close focus? The bull kelp shot was using two strobes and I got one that was usable. I was trying to shoot a super close up of some top snails on bull kelp but the backscatter was too much. Was talking with Ken Ashman about it and the only snoot we could think of is the rubber one Inon offers with their set. I have that set for the Z240's but now am shooting Z330's, so they don't fit. Just thought I'd post here to get some ideas before I go spend more money to test out a snoot system with the 8-15.

Thanks for the help.

Joe

post-1513-0-91453700-1549222969_thumb.jpg

post-1513-0-95460700-1549222983_thumb.jpg

Hi Joe

Even super close-up, aren't snails - or critters of that size - going to look minuscule with the 8-15? I can see a snoot will pick them out. But, wow, seriously difficult I would have thought to light and just so tiny?

Nice pics - especially for the 8mm setting.

Hi Joe

Even super close-up, aren't snails - or critters of that size - going to look minuscule with the 8-15? I can see a snoot will pick them out. But, wow, seriously difficult I would have thought to light and just so tiny?

Nice pics - especially for the 8mm setting.

Hi Tim,

You are correct that they would be small. I came across a cluster of them, which I thought looked cool. The kelp in some areas was gone, but the bottom was littered with top snails. They are about 2-3 inches, so with 4-5 of them it might have looked cool if I could blip some light on them. They are colorful. Here is a magic snoot shot from that same trip. With 4-5 I wanted to pick up the orange to add some deeper interest to the image.

post-1513-0-64527100-1549232581_thumb.jpg

Wow, yeah, that is pretty cool, Joe! Yeah, I can sure see why you want to give that a try. Nice image

Thanks, Tim. I am going out next week on a 3-day limited load and have a snoot solution. Will probably have another chance if weather doesnt hold us back.

Cool. Good hunting. Do post some pics when you get back.

Sponsors

Advertisements