Sign in to follow this  
ragauthier1

Ikelite DS161 vs Sea and Sea YS-D2J

I'm thinking about getting a pair of YS-D2J strobes. I presently use Nikon D850 with Ikelite housing and a pair of DS161 strobes and a TTL converter. The online manual suggests the S&S are lighter, and easy to use. Anyone know of any disadvantages or problems with the YS-D2J?

Hi: I have had 3 pairs of Sea&Sea strobes, also several Inon strobes. My SS YS-D2J's have worked fine.

I avoid sync cords as most of my strobe problems have been with them and with the Inon magnets in the TTL control.

For the past 3 years I have relied on the Sea&Sea strobes, no regrets.

Happy diving!

Thanks for the feedback. Think I will also go to the fiber-optic cables, which I have heard are much more reliable than the bulky sync cords

1. If you opt for fiber optic cables and are inclined to Do It Yourself, you can make you own cables from eBay Toslink cable for a small fraction of what commercial cables cost. But I am not familiar with Ikelite housings and do not know if they accept fiberoptic, or if you have to use a sync to fiberoptic adapter.

Here is a reference: http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=60564

2, When buying new strobes, regardless of make, it is a good idea to buy from a dealer who is able to get the strobes repaired. i say this as Wetpixel has abundant posts of divers left with no recourse when their strobes failed.

Thanks for the reference. Never thought about DIY - will try it out

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements