Vagabond

Dry Gloves for Photographers

Hi,

Any suggestions for which dry gloves work best for uw photography? (I have a Santi drysuit and a Nauticam Housing ML).

I have seen a few posts on the issue but dated 2009.

Thank you for your help.

Pier A Mane

Are you asking about the glove system or the glove itself? Systems each have their pros and cons, mainly around cost, ease of donning the glove, and risk of failure/flood. Personally, I prefer a simple pull over system as opposed to a twist/lock system. You can even create an incredibly simple and cheap DIY pull over system.

As for the glove itself, the trade off is between a thicker glove that has more cut resistance and a softer, thinner glove for more finger dexterity. Non-elastic gloves (like some heavy-duty gloves) are more resistant to puncture, but they can become incredibly difficult to use as the cold reduces your finger strength. Thinner, softer gloves give your fingers a bit more purchase, as you'll be able to use more of your finger tips to grab something like a soft lens cover. That said, I don't think operating the camera will pose any issues with any choice. The real struggle comes at the end of the dive when you try to unclip your camera, store your accessories, or put a lens cover back on.

Gloves are cheap. Buy a few different pairs and see what you like. You can always use the pairs you don't like for household cleaning.

I like Atlas 660 gloves which are both thin and tough. These are widely available online at low cost. Buy a few pairs once you find the right size. It's pretty simple to swap them out if you puncture them. Keep some superglue on hand to patch any small nicks or cuts. Wear a light weight glove liner under the dry glove and you should be very comfortable.

I am using the Ultima Rings from Waterproof on my suit. Ultima is a really good classic design (originally from Diving Concepts) which is very simple and reliable. It can be mounted on almost any suit without glue, just pop it on over the existing wrist seals.

Edited by davehicks

I've used the vinyl Atlas 660 gloves for years because I happened to have them in the house. They're particularly nice if you turn them inside out, as the inner liner gives you a little bit of extra grip and abrasion resistance.

That said, I've switched over to using elastic latex/nitrile gloves and will never look back. Find a glove that offers a snug fit over your liner and marvel in the finger dexterity.

Cuff rings are the way forward. However, I find the Si Tech Antares mentioned above to be nearly impossible to get off. I am not alone in this experience :)

I have used the Si Tech Quik Cuff and Waterproof Ultima cuff ring systems a lot and recommend them both very highly.

I used to use Showa 660 work gloves, but have found the sizing is awkward as they are designed to be worn without liner gloves. I have been using Santi dry gloves for about a year now and find that the sizing is very good. They are a little more expensive...

For photography, perhaps the liner choice is the most crucial decision...Once the air in the dry glove is compressed, the glove itself is very dextrous and is great for accessing camera controls. Bulky or poorly fitting liners can make this impossible! Liners need to be stretchy and to allow you to feel the controls. Take your housing along with you and try a few different pairs out?

All the best

Adam

Cuff rings are the way forward. However, I find the Si Tech Antares mentioned above to be nearly impossible to get off. I am not alone in this experience :)

I have used the Si Tech Quik Cuff and Waterproof Ultima cuff ring systems a lot and recommend them both very highly.

I used to use Showa 660 work gloves, but have found the sizing is awkward as they are designed to be worn without liner gloves. I have been using Santi dry gloves for about a year now and find that the sizing is very good. They are a little more expensive...

For photography, perhaps the liner choice is the most crucial decision...Once the air in the dry glove is compressed, the glove itself is very dextrous and is great for accessing camera controls. Bulky or poorly fitting liners can make this impossible! Liners need to be stretchy and to allow you to feel the controls. Take your housing along with you and try a few different pairs out?

All the best

Adam

Opps - my dryglove rings are Ultima. I replaced the wretched Antares with the Ultima. Sorry for the mix up.

Thank you so much for you tips and advance knowledge let me study in detail the info you provided it. Tha k you all

The attachment system is a matter of personal preference and how much you want to spend. For camera handling, you can treat the feel through the gloves as a completely independent issue to the attachment of the gloves.

Go for gloves that have a separate inner glove rather than a built in fleece. That way you can adjust the insulation and dexterity by choosing to dive without a liner, with skinny liner gloves, or with full fleece inner gloves. You don't have to use the liners that come with the dry gloves.

An added bonus is they are easier to dry out and you can have a spare set of fresh warm and dry liners for every dive.

Even without a liner, I find dry gloves warmer than 5mm wet gloves and better dexterity than 3mm wet gloves. A skinny liner adds a surprising amount of warmth for negligible loss in dexterity.

You don't need to buy the full dry glove system to practice. Get some cheap reinforced pvc work gloves, slip them on over some thin fleece liners and experiment in a swimming pool.

The actual gloves used in many dry glove systems are pretty much the same pvc work gloves fitted to a cuff ring. The difference in price between dry glove systems is the engineering of the cuff ring system not the actual glove.

• Like 1

Hi there, i am using the Santi smart glove system on a Santi drysuit (might be relevant option to the op given he dives Santi).

Love them and i agree with above comment dexterity isnt that bad, provided i dont go too deep/ascend too quickly. Indeed, i get a bit of a Mickey Mouse hands otherwise, making photos difficult. Probably i should leave some sort of tubes to allow air venting through wrist seals.

Worth noting i am using rather expensive HD gloves from fourth eleement, but i have been impressed by their resistance to abrasion: not yet punctured after nearly 1 year of diving, although grabbing rocks, shelly / abrasive surfaces (shells, etc).

So very pleased, just need to address the Mickey Mouse effect.

I've been using the Atlas blue vinyl gloves with various liners since ... forever. My cuff rings are the old Skaana (then Dive Concepts) and are still going strong. I personally like the 'clip on' rings vs. the 'screw on' rings. In the cold, I'm undoing my buddy's rings after every dive, while mine just come off easily.

Since I've almost always used dry gloves (ever since my AOW years ago) and don't dive warm water, I only know dry gloves. Still, I've never had any problem with underwater cameras, from small ones to the larger DLSR systems.

Currenly my liners are work glove liners from Mark's Work Wearhouse (Canada store) - the cotton yellow ones. They last and last and last, and it's like $10 per pair.

I use cotton liners because anything with wool in it is ruined instantly by a glove flood, in my experience. For a time I even tried 2mm neoprene 'kayak gloves' inside, but they are much colder than a decent cotton glove. I've found the secret is to have enough room for 'air loft' - liners stuffed into a glove lose a lot of insulation, I've found.

Sponsors

Advertisements