Sign in to follow this  
Dam

Gopro 7 black slighly out of focus underwater with 6" dome SHOOT

Hi,

I tried with almost all settings (4k-1080-wide-linear-low iso-fixed speed...) and always the same, underwater (fully underwater not only in split view) movies are a little bit out of focus, over water it's sharp.The dome don't have any scratch, it looks good for the price, no blurred area on it. Without the 6" dome the sharpness is normal. It's a flat glass on the gopro housing. Anyone have identical problem? If someone have any other dome like Knect,Telesin, Inon UFL-G140 SD... can you tell me if the quality is good or if with a gopro we loose sharpness with a dome?

Thank you.

Edited by Dam

Don't have any of these domes to test, but if I remember correctly, GoPros have a minimum focus distance of around 30cm. An air-filled dome underwater will create a virtual image inside the dime that is closer then the go-pro's minimum focus distance, so the image will be out of focus. The only way to correct it would be to put a diopeter on the go pro to allow it to focus closer.

Basically, these domes aren't designed for use underwater, just for split shots where you don't care if the underwater portion is in sharp focus.

Don't have any of these domes to test, but if I remember correctly, GoPros have a minimum focus distance of around 30cm. An air-filled dome underwater will create a virtual image inside the dime that is closer then the go-pro's minimum focus distance, so the image will be out of focus. The only way to correct it would be to put a diopeter on the go pro to allow it to focus closer.

Basically, these domes aren't designed for use underwater, just for split shots where you don't care if the underwater portion is in sharp focus.

Thank you.
I think your right, I was surprised because after a long search on the web nobody complain about that issue. I will search more about the inon UFL-G140 SD it's a wet lens so no split but perhaps it works well underwater. I saw some videos on youtube, corners look very blurred but it's with old 4 gopro, hope with 7 it's better.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements