alfonso exposito

Sony A7III + Sony 90 macro + Subsee +10

Hello,

I've been testing the lens sony 90 mm with the Subsee +10 and I can not focus my A7III.

Someone has been the same?

What macro lens do you recommend with this configuration?

Thanks for your time. Greetings from Spain.

Following with interest, as I'm beginning to think about augmenting my A6300 + 90mm setup with a wet diopter for a trip to Anilao. As far as focusing goes, it should be similar.

Hello,

I've been testing the lens sony 90 mm with the Subsee +10 and I can not focus my A7III.

Someone has been the same?

What macro lens do you recommend with this configuration?

Thanks for your time. Greetings from Spain.

thinking of going for the same set up.

Please let us know what the outcome is...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few questions to clarify your problem, when you say you can't focus, do you mean that the AF can't find focus, or have you set the lens focus to infinity and tried to move the camera back and forth to achieve focus? Also how have you mounted the Subsee lens and which port are you using with the macro lens, does it have the front element right up very close to the port glass?

Google led me here: http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=56397&do=findComment&comment=368456

Hi Marshall. We're probably not in the right forum for this discussion, but I'll reply here anyway as I can answer some of your questions.

I can confirm that Nauticam now support a manual focus port option for APS-C Sony cameras and the Sony 90mm FE Macro lens. This is a new N85-N100 focus knob adapter with matching focus gear and N100 70mm Macro port. My daughter and I had the first example to leave the factory at the end of October courtesy of great support from UK Nauticam guru, Alex Tattersall. This worked very well using an A6000 on ~ 3 Red Sea macro dives last month. As you know the Sony 90mm Macro is a first class lens optically. I think my daughter used back button autofocus set on continuous most if not all of the time. As this wasn't primarily a macro trip and the first underwater outing for this lens, we didn't experiment with super macro underwater. In general, the autofocus appears accurate and usually successful, but slower and more inclined to hunt than say the Nikkor 105mm Macro on a Nikon D7200 DSLR. I think it will be more challenging for rapidly moving subjects on the A6000.

I have just been testing the setup out with wet lenses used in the dry in the comfort of my home. I have no reason to believe that the conclusions will be markedly different underwater at least when using a focus light.

With a SubSee +5, autofocus performance appears only a little worse than without a wet lens. Once the lens is in the focus zone, repeat pressing of the back button focus accurately and quickly fine tunes the focus point. Getting the lens into the zone is slower and occasionally misses and gives up, requiring a second or third button press attempt.

With a SubSee +10, autofocus is quite problematic. More often than not focus fails, although with perseverance lock may be achieved. Even if lock is achieved, it is usually lost with the next focus button push even though the lens is then in the zone. I wouldn't be happy using this combination on autofocus.

With a SMC-1, autofocus performance is quite similar to that with the SubSee +5 although of course depth of field is much less due to the far higher magnification.

It is interesting that the weakest and most powerful of these three autofocus fairly adequately whereas the intermediate +10 doesn't.

It should be a comfort having the manual focus option to get focus approximately correct under difficult conditions, but I suspect that the rocking method will be most effective for accurate focus with super macro using this lens and an A6000.

As for the NEX7, I have no experience but the A6000 phase detect autofocus is certainly much better than the contrast detect NEX5N that we previously used.

Hope this helps, Mark.

I have issues with my 90mm macro and my a6300 with Saga trio lens which provides +5, +10 and +15 options. With +5 it focuses okay, slightly slower than without, but with +10 its almost impossible with AF. Because im using an ikelite housing, I dont have the manual focus option so thats an issue for sure.

Have you tried using DMF focus mode? You can usually get the focus plane pretty close using back-button AF, then move the camera back-and-forward with the focus peaking enabled to get exact focus.

Sponsors

Advertisements