Sign in to follow this  
horvendile

Wet lens dome - image properties?

Hi. I've been asking a lot of questions here about new gear, and I have received a lot of great feedback, for which thanks. However, while I now know pretty much what I want to buy, I may be stuck with my current equipment for a while, simply because the new gear requires more funds than I can responsibly and immediately shell out.

(I can do responsibly, OR immediately, but not immediately AND responsibly.)

So, I've started thinking about how I can improve my photography with my current equipment, which is a Panasonic LX-100 in an Ikelite housing with two DS-51 strobes.

With the housing I use a WD-4 wide angle dome (https://www.ikelite.com/products/wd-4-wide-angle-dome), which is a wet lens.

My question now: does such a lens have optical properties equivalent with other dome ports? That is to say, do they also create a curved virtual image close to the port, requiring some serious stopping down to get decent edge results?

You'd think I'd alreay know that, having used the WD-4 on several trips. But I don't, seeing as I don't quite know what to reasonably expect.

it is not exactly as a dome but the approximation is close. Similar considerations apply however considering the focal lenght involved you should not have any issues working at very wide apertures

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements