Sign in to follow this  
MrFish

Hurghada - Reef Damage

My wife works for a UK company called the Adventure Company. The company has become an active member of The Travel Foundation , a UK based charity promoting various aspects of sustainable tourism throughout the world.

The Travel Foundation have shown an interest in putting money into reef preservation in the Hurghada area. In order to make the decision as to the level of their involvement they are undertaking an investigation to ascertain the current state of the reefs and more importantly the practices employed by dive operators in the area, e.g. using fixed mooring buoys instead of anchoring, promoting the attitude of ‘look but don’t touch’.

My wife has been asked by her MD to produce a report on the Hurghada area.

This is where you guys can help. What we would like to know is your experiences in responsible diving practices at Hurghada, both the good and the bad. Do the Dive Boats use fixed mooring buoys or anchor on the Reef? Are divers discouraged from touching the Corals? Is the training of inexperienced divers done away from areas that are prone to damage from 'bottom bouncers'? Is there any evidence of sewage contamination?

Any help you can give would be gratefully received. Photographic evidence of damage or overcrowding of divers would also help.

Thanks

p.s

Please feel free to send e-mails direct to my wife

karen.beattie@talk21.com

In my experience sound environmental practices are followed for all the aspects you ask about. However, there are tens of operators in the area, and I have always made business with just one. Even when sound practices are followed the area is very heavily visited by divers, and it starts to show more and more :(

How about also contacting Hurghada Environmental Protection and Conversation Association (HEPCA)?

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements