snackers

GH5 Video: 7-14mm Panasonic + Dome or 14-42mm + WWL-1?

Hi everyone,

I own a Nauticam GH5 rig right now and only shoot video. What would be better for me, the 7-14mm Panasonic Lens + Dome or 14-42mm pany + WWL-1?

Which one would have better image quality when shooting video? I know about the soft corners issue with the 7-14mm, but given the 7-14mm is a nicer/more expensive lens, are the optics better?

Does the WWL-1 option allow you to shoot macro without have to attach another wet lens? I read somewhere that if underwater you just take off the WWL-1, the 14-42mm automatically turns into a macro-ish lens?

Can anyone advise?

I currently own the 7-14mm + 60mm for macro, but a lot of the posts here seem to suggest that the 14-42mm + WWL-1 option is better for shooting video.

Read UWPmag issue 99 there is a comparison between WWL-1 and 14-42 and 7-14mm. Generally the choice is not just about optical quality but also if you prefer a rectilinear lens or one that has barrel distortion

The 7-14mm is softer in corners but not just behind a dome is soft also when you shoot on land indoors. For landscape you do not notice it but at close range you have soft corners and edge pull

14-42 + WWL-1 is way better but... 7-14 mm is a rectilinear lens while the WWL-1 is a fisheye so it depends on you video subject: most people doesn't like fisheye distortion on wrecks.

Bye

Edited by Davide DB

What would be better for me, the 7-14mm Panasonic Lens + Dome or 14-42mm pany + WWL-1?

Which one would have better image quality when shooting video? I know about the soft corners issue with the 7-14mm, but given the 7-14mm is a nicer/more expensive lens, are the optics better?

Does the WWL-1 option allow you to shoot macro without have to attach another wet lens? I read somewhere that if underwater you just take off the WWL-1, the 14-42mm automatically turns into a macro-ish lens?

Can anyone advise?

I currently own the 7-14mm + 60mm for macro, but a lot of the posts here seem to suggest that the 14-42mm + WWL-1 option is better for shooting video.

Hi Snackers,

I have/had the 7-14mm, which I used behind the 170mm dome from Zen, it's a lovely lens (I have it still for land use) - but as noted its soft in the corners at wide apertures behind a dome.

I have since switched to the afore mentioned 14-42mm II + WWL1 combo - which is indeed a nicer setup as its 1) sharper and 2) so much more versatile.

The WWL1 due to its 0.37x magnification makes the 14-42mm become a 5mm-15mm semi-fisheye and when you remove the WWL-1 the 14-42mm becomes an 18mm-55mm - so gives you great flexibility, which in turn you can attach the CMC wet lense or simailr for even greater macro. I don't know the minimum focus distance of the 14-42mm at 42mm (55mm) while underwater, so potentially it might not be a great macro lens by itself.

The other benefit is the use of Dual-IS2 with this particular lens.

The 14-42mm as a bare lens has a focus distance around 26cm from the glass so it does need close up lenses and in fact there are a couple that are ideal I am going to do the write up eventually

In terms of rectilinear lenses I would suggest you consider the Leica 8-18mm and the 7" acrylic dome because this lens takes filters and therefore can support a variety of situations. OK is not as wide as the 7-14mm and it does have corner problems due to the dome but has dual IS 2 and on land is great for other type of images.

In terms of the 7-14mm there is no dome on the market that will alleviate the symptoms so if I were you I would get the acrylic port as also the zen is too short

• Like 1

As in the focus distance is too far or too close for macro?

What lens would you suggest? the CMC that Nauticam sells?

The 14-42mm as a bare lens has a focus distance around 26cm from the glass so it does need close up lenses and in fact there are a couple that are ideal I am going to do the write up eventually

In terms of rectilinear lenses I would suggest you consider the Leica 8-18mm and the 7" acrylic dome because this lens takes filters and therefore can support a variety of situations. OK is not as wide as the 7-14mm and it does have corner problems due to the dome but has dual IS 2 and on land is great for other type of images.

In terms of the 7-14mm there is no dome on the market that will alleviate the symptoms so if I were you I would get the acrylic port as also the zen is too short

Yes, despite of the material, the Nauticam acrylic dome is way better than the zen.

Sponsors

Advertisements