Sign in to follow this  
brandonlangston

how necessary are wet lenses for canon g7 mark II

is it common for people to use the canon g7 w/o wet lenses? how's the picture quality just using the point and shoot?

i use a fuji x-t3 on land, but without many options for housing, I started looking at compacts. by time I add in cost of camera, housing, macro and wide angle lenses, it's close enough to the nauticam price for my Fuji. i'd rather not have two distinctly different set ups for my travels, to shoot dry land and underwater. looking for advice from people who use the canon w/o wet lenses, or advice from others who faced similar dilemmas.

thanks

It really depends on what you are trying to shoot. For macro you can still get some decent shots (I shoot a G7X in a fantasea housing). I mostly photo sand tiger sharks. I found that to get the entire shark in the shot I had to be at a distance too far away. Getting a WA wet lense really helped me get some better shots. Hope this helps

The picture quality doesn't change a great deal, wet lenses change the angle of view, The G7X behind a flat port only gets the equivalent of a 30mm lens field of view and at the macro end only achieves 0.16x so fills the frame with something 83mm across. So if you want to shoot smaller things a macro wet lens helps, similarly getting wider helps you get closer for reef shots. On backscatter you can get the camera, Fantasea housing , Big eye wet lens and INON macro lens for $1450.

The Nauticam housing is $2600 then you need to add a dome port for wide shots and a macro port if you want to shoot macro, plus zoom gears if required, so at least another $1000 or more depending on whether you want glass or acrylic ports. You can probably get away with something like INON S-2000 as strobes, with an APS-C camera you would be wanting to use something like the Z-330s at double the cost. So the fuji option is probably at least $2800 more expensive than a basic G7X II setup with two wet lenses, assuming you buy two S-2000 instead of two Z-330.

Meikon makes a pretty good housing for X-T3 - costs $655 with flat and dome ports, plus another $120 for vacuum system. Aside from lacking a zoom gear for 10-24mm lens, it looks like a fairly capable unit.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements