Driftc

Sony animal eye autofocus

With the release of Sony's new firmware update (3.0), I am curious if any underwater photographers have been able to test it out yet. I'm curious how it does with many eyes, and fast moving subjects.

Here is a link to how the function works: https://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/1720/v1/en/contents/TP0001667680.html

and here is a link to the announcement on Sony Alpha Rummors:

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/official-sony-a7iii-help-guide-explains-you-the-new-firmware-update-features/

This would be an absolute game changer if Sony could get animal eye autofocus to work for marine life! My understanding is, thus far, it is only officially working on dogs and cats, however, others have reported success with squirrels, apes, etc.

Has anyone done the update on an A7riii or A9 that can share their experience?

I have done a review of the new Sony A6400 APS-C camera which has all of the new AF features for the issue of uwpmag.com which posted today. This camera has the best auto focus for any APS-C camera I have used mirrorless or DSLR period. Regarding the animal eye AF please read the review for answers regarding which AF features worked best underwater for me.

You may also want to look at A6400 review at DPReview regarding the auto focus in the concussing section. They place it as one of the best of all cameras at any price range.

Thank you Phil. That's an interesting point about Zeiss 50mm in your review - maybe I've been too hasty in getting the 90mm macro for my A6300; a used Zeiss 50mm plus a new A6400 body, minus the resale value of my A6300 body would've probably cost about the same, but 75mm-equivalent should be a good deal easier to use than 135mm-equivalent. Oh well - on the upside, I'm more prepared for supermacro this way, although I still need to get a close-up lens (SMC-1? Subsee 10? WFL05? UCL-90? Decisions...)

I have done a review of the new Sony A6400 APS-C camera which has all of the new AF features for the issue of uwpmag.com which posted today. This camera has the best auto focus for any APS-C camera I have used mirrorless or DSLR period. Regarding the animal eye AF please read the review for answers regarding which AF features worked best underwater for me.

You may also want to look at A6400 review at DPReview regarding the auto focus in the concussing section. They place it as one of the best of all cameras at any price range.

Phil,

Your review did not include a discussion of wet lens. Do you think the Ikelite housing would be compatible with the Fantasea UWL-09F or Nauticam WWL-1 with either the Sony 16-50 or 18-55 lens?

Thanks,

Rick

I would be happy to answer to answer your question Rick. First of all understand that I have done over 75 articles for uwpmag.com,most on new equipment. The equipment I am reviewing in most cases is supplied to me and then returned to the manufacture. As a result I stick to reviewing the equipment I actually have in hand like the three lenses I used for this review. I am not in a position to own the twenty or so lenses supported for this camera by Ikelite. Since I don't own the Nauticam WWL-1 or the UWL-09F this would not be a lenses that I would be reviewing with this equipment.

I have many times suggested that people in these forum consult the manufactures port charts for additional information on compatibility. So this is how that would have worked out the Nauticam WWL-1 supports two Sony lenses the Sony E16-50 power zoom and the Sigma 19mm F/2.9 DN. On the Ikelite port charts you will see that the Sony 16-50 PZ and 18-55 are only supported by dome ports, not flat ports and the Signs 19mm is not supported at all. Fantasea has just announced a housing for the Sony A6400 which probably does support some of their wet wide lenses.

Sponsors

Advertisements