Sign in to follow this  
jemery

Canon 8-15mm on Sony

I switched from Canon to Sony one year ago now and generally been happy about the switch. Due to being a hybrid shooter, who needs to provide 4k video to clients. But recently my work has shifted toward more photography than video and I am really missing CFWA and the 'fisheye look' that came from my previous setup (Canon 7D and Tokina 10-17mm). I still have the Tokina 10-17mm in my arsenal and have adapted it with a cheap Fotodiox Pro Smart adapter onto my current Camera a Sony a6500. Unfortunately, I am unable to use the Tokina daily as it is too unreliable with AF (with photography) and even locks the camera completely on some occasions.

I have since decided to upgrade to full frame and have chosen to stay with Sony A7iii as I still need the excellent video performance from the Sony. But the problem still exists that Sony doesn't have a dedicated Fisheye Zoom. Whilst searching the interwebs with continuous research on the best options I have come across the fantastic Canon 8-15mm Fisheye which can be adapted to the Sony by a Metabones adapter. I have read a few threads and articles on people using this setup but with not much detail of its success. I would like to know if the AF works, (luckily I am in warm tropical waters so ambient light isn't too bad) also if it ever crashes or locks the camera? Anyone with a Sony A7 series camera and the Metabones Canon setup could share some light would be most helpful.

I have also looked at other options like the Sony 16-35mm and the very expensive Nauticam WACP but have ruled both out because the 16-35mm is still a rectilinear and the WACP is too expensive.

Hi Jemery,

I'm using the Canon 8-15 mm on a Sony A7rIII via a Metabones V. It works well – continuous lock-on autofocus etc is fine. I haven't had any significant issues (I've been using it routinely since September 2018).

Here are some example photos: https://www.simonjpierce.com/sony-a7riii-underwater-review/

Note that I'm just updating this post now, but at least you can see the photos. Let me know if you need a closer look at things, I can always send through a few pics. I've been really happy with it, although the Metabones + port adapter adds a lot of bulk / expense to the system.

I'd look at the 140 mm done rather than the 100 mm I've got, too, although corners are generally okay when stopped down to f/10 or more.

Best,

Simon.

• Like 2

Fantastic Simon, that has given me some hope. I will most likely get this setup.

I would love to see some more photos in detail if possible

Cheers,

James

Hi James,

I have used the Canon 8-15mm and Metabones adapter with Sony A7 II, A7R II, A7 III and A7R III cameras in Nauticam housings with Zen 100 port, Nauticam 140mm port & Nauticam 230mm port, all with the removable port shades or blades. I have also used the lens with Ikelite housing and eight inch dome port and with the Acquapazza housing with Inon port II which is 162mm also with the dome shades removed. The large ports work best for split (over/under) images and the small 100 and 140 work best for CFWA. I reviewed these products for uwpmag.com which is a free PDF download. Further info and images can be found in the free back issues, #93, 102 & 103.

Some images at the circular fisheye end.

post-2618-0-41126900-1555608076_thumb.jpg

post-2618-0-30908300-1555608087_thumb.jpg

post-2618-0-25010400-1555608099_thumb.jpg

Lovely pics, Phil

Thank you Tim. One of the things which is common to all of the housings and port combinations I used with the 8-15 zoom is the purple/blue fringing around the outside edges of the 8mm circular fisheye shots. Nothing I have tried in Lightroom seems to get ride of it.

This image is with the 8-15mm on the Canon EOS R with adapter and no difference from the Sony cameras.

post-2618-0-27264900-1555611677_thumb.jpg

Thank you Tim. One of the things which is common to all of the housings and port combinations I used with the 8-15 zoom is the purple/blue fringing around the outside edges of the 8mm circular fisheye shots. Nothing I have tried in Lightroom seems to get ride of it.

This image is with the 8-15mm on the Canon EOS R with adapter and no difference from the Sony cameras.

Yeah, I remember there was some discussion of this a while back with Adam and Alex. I wondered whether it was Lightroom-outable. But I guess not.

From the topside pics I've shot with the 8-15, that fringing "only" seems to occur when bright light is on the lens. I'm going to attach a couple of shots from inside a Myanmar temple. You'll see that one shot, with a very dark background, has no fringing; whilst the other has fringing around the lower edges but not the top. Interesting....

I'm off to Bonaire soon and plan to try the 8-15 out with the Kenko TC1.4. I've got various (Subal) EXRs and zoom rings ready to go.

post-2756-0-04197600-1555617063_thumb.jpg

post-2756-0-95466100-1555617073_thumb.jpg

Hi James,

Apologies for the delay! I can't work out how to upload pics here, so I'm sending some raw files over to you via email so you can check them out for yourself. All the recent wide angle shots on my Instagram account have been taken using the Sony A7rIII / Metabones V + Canon 8-15 mm combination.

https://www.instagram.com/simonjpierce/

I've been really happy with the system overall, which is fortunate, as it cost ALL the monies...

Very best,

Simon

Fantastic Simon, that has given me some hope. I will most likely get this setup.
I would love to see some more photos in detail if possible

Cheers,
James

• Like 1

Simon - maybe not cheap, but worth every cent!!

Wolfgang

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your input, it has been very informative and helpful.

Big thanks to Simon and Phil for your example photos.

I will update as soon as I upgrade in a couple of months

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements