Sign in to follow this  
BrianWPB

AF seems to be hunting on Nikon 105mm 2.8G

I've recently started to notice some AF hunting issues with my Nikon 105mm 2.8G. The AF still works but takes longer. I've had this lens a few years and was using on D7100 and now the D500. I use AF to get me close and then I rock for precision.

Any suggestions of what could be wrong or what I should do? The lens has not experienced a drop or water damage.

Thanks for your help.

Posted (edited)

I too use a Nikkor 105mm lens, it was giving me focus problems. My local camera shop has an excellent repairman who cleaned the lens. A bit expensive but worth every penny.

To look through the lens for inside dust, set it to M, open the diaphragm completely, and look through the lens from both ends, you can use a flashlight to highlight the dust.

Also look critically at the port glass, make sure it is super clean inside and out.

Good luck!

Edited by Kraken de Mabini
  • Like 1

Thanks for the advice. I'll give that a try. I suspect the lens is pretty clean because >95% of its use has been inside a housing.

I too use a Nikkor 105mm lens, it was giving me focus problems. My local camera shop has an excellent repairman who cleaned the lens. A bit expensive but worth every penny.

To look through the lens for inside dust, set it to M, open the diaphragm completely, and look through the lens from both ends, you can use a flashlight to highlight the dust.

Also look critically at the port glass, make sure it is super clean inside and out.

Good luck!

Use a powerful focus light. Which one are you using currently ?

Diggy

Your mirror might be getting dirty in the camera. That will affect autofocus ability. You should notice problems above water as well, probably in lower lighting conditions. It's not the lens that focuses, it's the camera.

Yes, checking for cleanliness first throughout is key.

Otherwise:

Did this happen when you made the switch from D7100 to D500? The lens is notorious for 'hunting' UW due to the low light/contrast conditions and the fast speed of its AF motor. Could it be focusing faster on the D500 and therefore hunting more if it can't find focus?

When it was first introduced many preferred the older screw-drive 105mm as its slower AF actually helped people to 'stop' the AF close (let go of the button if the camera couldn't lock focus) and 'rock for precision' as you say. The newer lens focuses so fast its hard to do the same.

Chris

Hi,
have the Nikon 60mm AFs, the Nikon 70 - 180mm zoom macro lens AFd and the Sigma 105mm macro OS.
The AFs is sometimes hunting, the AFd is slow, and the Sigma is great.
Used earlier on a D300 and now D500 and D750.
Fast af is good, but if it hunts fast, it makes no sense....

Regards,
Wolfgang

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements