dubscutty

Sony a6000 vs a6500

Reading Marsh's post about shoe-horning lenses into non supported domes makes me happy I went with m43 where just about all the lens choices are available and work out of the box with a zoom gear already engineered and plenty of dome choices already sorted out .:D.  With the EM-1 MkII the image quality is very close particularly if I do my bit and expose well  and it all just works.

The M43 equivalent of that new Sony lens would be 12-41mm f/2 - where is that lens sold, and what domes/extensions/gears support it? Yes, there is the Olympus 12-40mm f/2.8, but the APS-C counterpart of that is Zeiss 16-70mm f/4, which has been available for about six years now, and is supported by pretty much all housing manufacturers.

On 10/20/2019 at 8:07 PM, Barmaglot said:

I've put close to a hundred dives on my A6xxx Salted Line housing over the past year without any significant issues. The zoom gear for 10-18mm f/4 lens is fiddly to set up, but reliable when properly positioned. I did have a problem with left strobe not firing properly (the fiber optic ports are slightly offset from the camera flash and use a reflector to guide the light) but switching to multicore fiber optic cables (from Nitescuba on Aliexpress) resolved that completely - I'm 40 dives into my current trip with zero strobe troubles.

What strobes are you shooting with this? I just ordered the same housing and curious to what strobes people are having luck shooting with it. 

On 8/23/2019 at 6:35 AM, Placebo365 said:

Hi Dave, yeah sure, here are a few.  Like I say, taken on the A6000, Sigma 19mm f2.8 lens, Meikon housing, 1 strobe (InonZ330, some of them may have been taken with one Sea&SeaYs-02 strobe before I had the Inon).  I've got a Meikon wet lens attached to the housing.  The A6000 is 1.5 crop, therefore the Sigma lens is effectively about 28mm, but the wet lens widens it a bit, I'm guessing to about 20 or 22mm?? Not sure.  Anyway, it's a total workhorse.  Been used for I'd say about 600 dives over the last 3 years, as well as daily blasted on land.  I dread to think how many clicks its done and (touch wood) it's still going.  People argue that the Sony's have that 'weird colour science' but I've found it's totally fixable in LR.  Here are a link to some sample images... (can't upload them direct here as it's saying I can only upload max 0.98mb.

Sample images

**edit** Oh and forgot to mention re video, obviously there's no 4k but it does have zebras which I use constantly and it absolutely enables you to nail exposure every time.  No complaints about the auto focus either.  

I look forward to the day I'm shooting this quality with my a6000! Beautiful work. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Russwalters said:

What strobes are you shooting with this? I just ordered the same housing and curious to what strobes people are having luck shooting with it. 

I use a pair of SeaFrogs ST-100 Pros, but I'm not particularly happy with them - when triggered by fiber optics, they function as TTL-only, without compensation, so they're basically bulkier YS-03s. They do have modeling lights, but after a year, the magnet switches controlling them have corroded and I can't engage them anymore. I have pre-ordered a pair of Retra Pros in December 2018; those should (hopefully) ship soon and provide a significant improvement.

12 hours ago, Barmaglot said:

I use a pair of SeaFrogs ST-100 Pros, but I'm not particularly happy with them - when triggered by fiber optics, they function as TTL-only, without compensation, so they're basically bulkier YS-03s. They do have modeling lights, but after a year, the magnet switches controlling them have corroded and I can't engage them anymore. I have pre-ordered a pair of Retra Pros in December 2018; those should (hopefully) ship soon and provide a significant improvement.

Oh awesome, the Retra should be a great addition. I'm looking at the Inon Z330's - do you know the best way to trigger those? Would the housing support those? 

1 hour ago, Russwalters said:

Oh awesome, the Retra should be a great addition. I'm looking at the Inon Z330's - do you know the best way to trigger those? Would the housing support those? 

You have basically three options for triggering:

• Pop-up flash - simplest, doesn't cost you anything, but it's TTL-only so the pre-flash adds a little bit of lag even if you run the strobes in manual mode with pre-flash cancellation. It also limits your cycle time and reduces camera battery life.
  • Manual LED trigger - mostly DIY options, but some factory-made as well. Solves the lag, cycle time and battery drain issues, but removes the option of TTL.
  • TTL converter from UW-Technics. Best option, as it gives you both manual and TTL options and has metering profiles for a variety of strobes, but also the most expensive, at $450 + shipping.

As far as 'support' goes, the housing will work with any strobe that supports optical triggering, so Seacam 150Ds won't work, and Ikelite DS strobes will require an optical converter, but pretty much everything else is fair game.

49 minutes ago, Barmaglot said:

You have basically three options for triggering:

• Pop-up flash - simplest, doesn't cost you anything, but it's TTL-only so the pre-flash adds a little bit of lag even if you run the strobes in manual mode with pre-flash cancellation. It also limits your cycle time and reduces camera battery life.
  • Manual LED trigger - mostly DIY options, but some factory-made as well. Solves the lag, cycle time and battery drain issues, but removes the option of TTL.
  • TTL converter from UW-Technics. Best option, as it gives you both manual and TTL options and has metering profiles for a variety of strobes, but also the most expensive, at $450 + shipping.

As far as 'support' goes, the housing will work with any strobe that supports optical triggering, so Seacam 150Ds won't work, and Ikelite DS strobes will require an optical converter, but pretty much everything else is fair game.

A strobe like the Inon z330 would do both manual and TTL though, correct? 

31 minutes ago, Russwalters said:

A strobe like the Inon z330 would do both manual and TTL though, correct? 

It will, although if you trigger off the camera flash, you'll need to enable pre-flash cancellation, as the camera pre-flash cannot be turned off.

2 minutes ago, Barmaglot said:

It will, although if you trigger off the camera flash, you'll need to enable pre-flash cancellation, as the camera pre-flash cannot be turned off.

If you aren't triggering off of the camera flash and no other sync port, what would you trigger from? I'm shotting an a6000. Sorry for a lot of super newbie questions... the whole flash syncing thing seems way more complicated to me than I know it is. 

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Russwalters said:

If you aren't triggering off of the camera flash and no other sync port, what would you trigger from? I'm shotting an a6000. Sorry for a lot of super newbie questions... the whole flash syncing thing seems way more complicated to me than I know it is. 

You can use one of those: https://uwtechnics.com/index.php/online-store/ttl-converters/for-sony

It plugs into the flash hot shoe on the camera and has LEDs that go into fiber optic ports. The camera detects it as a TTL-capable external flash and acts accordingly, while the converter flashes its LEDs to trigger your strobes. The built-in pop-up flash stays down if you use it.

Edited by Barmaglot
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Barmaglot said:

You can use one of those: https://uwtechnics.com/index.php/online-store/ttl-converters/for-sony

It plugs into the flash hot shoe on the camera and has LEDs that go into fiber optic ports. The camera detects it as a TTL-capable external flash and acts accordingly, while the converter flashes its LEDs to trigger your strobes. The built-in pop-up flash stays down if you use it.

Got it. This is super helpful, and absolutely something I didn't know existed! It looks like they are housing specific as well. Do you know if any would be compatible with the SeaFrogs?

1 minute ago, Russwalters said:

Got it. This is super helpful, and absolutely something I didn't know existed! It looks like they are housing specific as well. Do you know if any would be compatible with the SeaFrogs?

Not right now, but one should be available soon. I have a pre-production version for SeaFrogs Salted Line, and it has some fitting issues, but Pavel has indicated that a version that should fit properly is in the final stages of production.

4 minutes ago, Barmaglot said:

Not right now, but one should be available soon. I have a pre-production version for SeaFrogs Salted Line, and it has some fitting issues, but Pavel has indicated that a version that should fit properly is in the final stages of production.

Amazing. Do you mind keeping me in mind when you hear of it being available? I would be really interested. Can't thank you enough for your help as I'm trying to figure out what in the world I'm getting myself into! 

Hi,

In terms of  using the Sony a6000 vs the 6500, all I can share is my experience with my Sony a6000 .  If you are doing more photography, then the a6000 , considering you own it already does a very good job at shooting with or without strobes and it can certainly generate  overall great pictures if you know how to use it.   It has some good lense options and even though it limits to 1/160 for sync speed, you can capture moving object not too fast , pretty good.   The video is the big difference in the cameras  4k (6500) and a great variety of frame rates and bits it can capture but you can still get some very good   normal HD videos with the a6000 .    Faster overall focus and better battery  life are going to be better with the 6500 but you just get a few extra batts for the a6000 and you can do fine.  I would say if you want to do more video invest in the 6500 if not the a6000 is fine.  I might be upgrading as well so I will probably be selling my nauticam a6000 gear.

Can anyone tell me if the installation of the UW Technics converter precludes using the onboard flash? I have the NA-6400, I have the UWT flash converter but I am just still unboxing everything and trying to understand it all. 

I went back and forth on the A6300, the new A6400, A6500 and the new A600 and finally settled on the A6400. I would like to be able to use the onboard flash on occasion and understand that I will need to unplug the hot shoe interface to do so but am curious if the UWT device fully blocks the fiber optic windows precluding use of the onboard camera strobe? 

The UWT converter installs with double sticky tape. So I would rather not have to tear it out to revert to using the camera's strobe.

James

I have been considering the A6000 or A6300 and Sea Frogs housing for underwater photography and to keep my Canon 750D dry on land.  Any thoughts?

Sponsors

Advertisements