Sign in to follow this  
Hmmm

Split shots with the WWL-1

I remember reading somewhere that one can use an O-ring to seal water between the wwl1 and the port but cant seem to find reference to it.

What are people using to do this and which O-rings work?

I remember reading somewhere that one can use an O-ring to seal water between the wwl1 and the port but cant seem to find reference to it.

Look on reefphoto however take into account this is more a solution for snorkelling than splits as the wwl-1 doesn’t work properly in air

To take splits properly you will need a proper dome port

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Email Reef Photo. Dave H at Freshwaters Illustrated has taken great splits with this setup. I think there was a post about it on Nauticam's blog featuring Dave's work.

this is the part

https://reefphoto.com/products/zen_o-ring_to_seal_wwl-1_on_m67_flat_ports

However take into account that taking a picture in a river with your feet on the ground is one thing working with the WWL-1 in at the surface where you cannot touch is totally another story the lens is very heavy and will tilt forward it is also not optimised for focus so although something really close will be in focus the stuff in the background will blur besides the size of the dome is tiny so this makes it very hard to take decent shots

I discussed this with Kevin Palmer at reefphoto who will happily sell you the $5 oring but will also tell you it is mostly for snorkeling or work in breath-holding to avoid water flushing the back of the lens

For split shots a sizeable dome is preferred I personally like much more acrylic ones that stay afloat to glass ones having tried both

this is the part

https://reefphoto.com/products/zen_o-ring_to_seal_wwl-1_on_m67_flat_ports

However take into account that taking a picture in a river with your feet on the ground is one thing working with the WWL-1 in at the surface where you cannot touch is totally another story the lens is very heavy and will tilt forward it is also not optimised for focus so although something really close will be in focus the stuff in the background will blur besides the size of the dome is tiny so this makes it very hard to take decent shots

I discussed this with Kevin Palmer at reefphoto who will happily sell you the $5 oring but will also tell you it is mostly for snorkeling or work in breath-holding to avoid water flushing the back of the lens

For split shots a sizeable dome is preferred I personally like much more acrylic ones that stay afloat to glass ones having tried both

Thank you for your help. I am actually a freediver and this will be exactly what it is used for. I do have a selection of domes and find them better, but for filming I wanted to try this solution and see where i got and a $5 O-ring is a pretty cheap experiment when it comes to underwater housings!

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements