banjobees

Modifying Sea&Sea MDX-d7100 for Nikon d7200

I have an older MDX-d7100 housing and a ‘modification’ is needed for it to work with a d7200. Has to do with mode dial lock button.

Do you know what the modification is? And is it something that can be done DIY, without sending it to Sea&Sea or Backscatter?

Thanks- David

IMHO, D7100 and D7200 is identical as far as camera housing is concerned. I used D7200 in D7100 housing several years, without any problem.

That been said, if you are changing camera mode from M to A or P (or vise verse) in underwater, you might consider mode dial lock option.

Sam

• Like 1

Hmmmm... as was mentioned in the previous post, the mode dial and the locking buttons are identical on the D7100 and D7200. I don't use a Sea & Sea housing, but the controls on my housing work with both cameras. It would be interesting to see the problem you're encountering.

-AZTinman

Mode Dial on D7200 won't turn when it is in the MDX D7100 housing, noted by Sea&Sea below. Wondering if anyone has had the modification done, or done it themselves (and what was done)

post-47291-0-68754500-1559624273_thumb.jpeg

post-47291-0-35088900-1559624353_thumb.jpeg

Wow! Thanks for this information and clarification regarding the issue. My housing required changing out the strobe control electronics when I switched from my D7100 to my D7200. Your issue might be be a quick, easy fix for the tech folks at Backscatter.

-AZTinman

Thank-you, AZ. I phoned Backscatter and they are going to ask their technical staff.

I want to switch to the D7200 because of reportedly better low-light auto-focus, and faster focus: both of which will come in handy here in the dark Pacific Northwest.

Did you find that the D7200 was an improvement over the D7100?

Yes, switching from the D7100 to the D7200 did help with low-light auto-focus, but low-light can still be difficult. I encountered difficulties last week in Mexico with darker than usual water. There was a lot of junk in the water and the D7200 had problems locking onto subjects. Lens selection made a major difference. There were fewer issues with my Nikkor 60mm and Nikkor 10-24mm than with my Nikkor 16-85mm. The 16-85mm is an excellent lens if challenging visibility issues aren't present. I've never used a focus light on my D7100 or D7200. If you're diving in dark conditions, it might be a good idea to use one.

I recently did some informal low-light comparison testing with my D7100, D7200, and D850. The D7200 outperformed the D7100. Of course, the D850 outperformed both of the cropped sensor cameras. Eventually, I'll house the D850.

-AZTinman

Thanks very much, AZ! My usual lenses are for macro: Nikkor 60mm or 105mm and I use a focus light ( often dark at depth around Seattle ).

Haven't heard back from Backscatter yet about housing modification for D7200, but I added a dab of Aquaseal to the rubber tip on the Mode Dial Lock Button rod and it seems to work- if I ever need to change exposure mode underwater. I use Manual, but want to see if 'Auto' with "TTL" flash would work at all in the dark water here.

Also, haven't tried wide angle, but have a Tokina 10-17mm and Sigma 10-20....

Sponsors

Advertisements