Rob Pinch

Not got a clue

Posted (edited)

Hi all

Total beginner here

I have an ixus 132 with ikelite housing, I dont do much diving maybe once twice a year but Im always snorkelling wen Im away and want to take better photos

I know its not the best equipment but I am looking to get a strobe and a new lens

Any advice will be much appreciated, but please no professional term as I havent got a clue

Many thank

Rob

Edited by Rob Pinch

Want are you wanting to shoot?, the course of action may change depending upon whether you want wide angle or macro or both. The lens on this camera is not that wide and shooting through a flat port means it's equivalent to a 35mm lens (the view is magnified looking through a flat port)

You say you want a new lens - what do you mean by that? the lens on these cameras is fixed so can't be changed- do you mean an external wet lens? Or are you looking at changing cameras?

I would caution though just getting a strobe won't necessarily solve your problem you need to set the camera so the main light comes from the flash and the Ixus 132 makes that difficult to impossible. Ideally it needs manual exposure mode so you can reduce ambient light and set the flash so it provides sufficient light. Setting it to under expose by 1/2 - 1 stop and using manual flash might work but you couldn't be sure till you tried. Most cameras on auto will set the exposure from ambient light and add a little bit of flash which means the photos will be that flat blue/green colour.

Buy a wide angle lens especially if you snorkel it will help you fit everything in the frame and get closer

The camera has a 28mm lens I suggest you get an Inon UWL-H100 or you can get an Ikelite 6430 W-30 that is a rebrand of Epoque lenses

You can learn to set custom white balance that with the ixus works very well

At later stage for diving you can add a strobe and arm plus tray

Ambient light is relatively straight forward

Your camera does not have a manual mode so I would consider changing it however the wet lens and strobe will last more than the camera so I think if you do not want to invest too much it will be ok to start with

ChrisRoss

There isn’t anything in particular that I want to photo just wen I see something nice would be good to have a pic of it

And it would be an external wet lens

This is all every new to me, I watch a lot of YouTube but still can’t get my head around it

Interceptor

Would you say iv wasted my money buying this camera and housing?

If I were to purchase the 1st lens you suggested would that help with the quality of photos wen snorkelling?

Interceptor

Would you say iv wasted my money buying this camera and housing?

If I were to purchase the 1st lens you suggested would that help with the quality of photos wen snorkelling?

You need to start somewhere my wife started with an ixus 65

The wet lens and strobe can be reused so I would not think of changing until you know more what you are doing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

You need to start somewhere my wife started with an ixus 65

The wet lens and strobe can be reused so I would not think of changing until you know more what you are doing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you

Sponsors

Advertisements