Sign in to follow this  
martys

DIVE Magazine

A dive buddy of mine in the UK tells me some of my images have been published in the current issue, the one with the rebreather special feature in it. I wasn't aware of this, but hey, good for me I guess. My dilema is I can't find this UK publication in the US.

Would anyone in the UK be able to take a look and see if there are any images credited to me in the current edition? If so I'd like to get a few copies mailed to me and I would gladly reimbursh anyone kind enough to help me out.

thanks alot,

Marty

Hey, congrats on the exposure BUT don't short change yourself.

You deserve more than a photo credit and a few copies of the mag.

Contact the editor and demand that they pay you the going rate. If they have used your photos without your permission then they should have to pay you more!

Alex should be able to give you the editors email.

In principle I agree with you, but I'm in the US and they're in the UK and there's one big ocean between us. Let me see if they're even my images or not then I'll decide what to do. Maybe a free year's subscription?

but thanks for you support ;-)

Here you go. Their website is www.divemagazine.co.uk

Unfortunately they don't have any photos on the site for you to check.

Simon Rogerson Editor

simon@dive.uk.com

I 've been in this situation before with Kuoni travel agency in England(England again) that use my picture for their cataloque for diving in red sea and south east asia without my permission

and some diving magazine like asian diver and scuba diver australasia that don't pay any cent for my article and picture unless they promise to do so

I 'm not dealing bussiness with them anymore!!!!

I'm agree with last comment not only a few of copies but you should claim for your right

Nat Sumanatemeya

I know that there are a set of images taken by Marty Snyderman (which may have caused the confusion)

http://www.martysnyderman.com/

in the current issue of DIVE which are from Grand Cayman. And I am sure he was/will be paid for them.

I have also found that in recent years that this magazine is very reliable in paying for the images/features that they use. Which is why I choose to contribute to this magazine instead of others. They pay me, and the other contributors I know, reliably and on time.

Alex

I believe you're right Alex. I got a very nice reply from Simon Rogerson, the editor of Dive magazine who told me there were several images from Mr. Snyderman in this month's issue. He also said if it turns out there were any images of mine in there they would prompty send me some compensation (I didn't even ask for it). I've asked my friend who sent me the original note to recheck the credits - not the I mind being confused with Marty Snyderman... but I wouldn't want to dampen his reputation at all ;-)

I just wish I could find a copy of Dive magazine somewhere in the US.

Very glad to see this is being resolved. I know some of the people at Dive UK, which I consider the best popular dive magazine in print. (Unlike others, Dive actually runs negative reviews of dive equipment and operators - believe it or not.) They also have a well-earned reputation for being scrupulous both in crediting and paying contributors.

Frogfish

I too write for and find DIVE very good at crediting/paying and I am in no way suggesting that the following applies to them (just to make that totally clear!).

The UK's 1988 Copyright Act (which brought us into line with the EU) made deliberate copyright infringement a CRIMINAL offence. If you have a photograph used in the UK then invoice for it and if you have to chase it through the small claims court (a relatively cheap proceedure) do so. This applies mostly to people within the UK I accept, but by so doing you not only get paid - you also help safeguard other professional photographer's rights. I feel very strongly on this (I've put one firm out of business for deliberate and absolute copyright infringement and am pleased to have done so - they had no place in the picture using industry).

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements