Aloha,

Recently purchased a Nikonos V and interested in what strobe options you all recommend. Currently, Im looking at purchasing dual SB105s with the Nikonos tray and sync cord. Alternatively, I already own two modern Ikelite DS160s I routinely use with my D810. It appears Ikelite makes a Nikonos sync cord. From there I would have to adapt my Ikelite dual try to accommodate the Nikonos. I would prefer the later option, unless; however, there is significant reason to keep it Nikonos-Nikonos.

Thank you in advanced!

Ikelite sells a Nikonos to dual Ikelite cable (both TTL & non-TTL versions on B&H) so I'd see no point in buying other strobes if you own DS160's (except perhaps for switching to smaller strobes with user friendly knobs!).

There are numerous trays available that could mount a Nikonos and dual strobes (I like the ULCS double tray and find many uses for it both UW & topside).

You need a tray such as the one in the attached image and couple of the ball joints to add ultralight (or compatible) arms. This is an infinity tray purchased from Backscatter a long time ago. If you are interested in purchasing let me know.

i-jkBgDnp.jpg

Jon

FYI... Ikelite no longer makes sync cords to connect a Nikonos V to Ikelite strobes. I sent an inquiry to Ikelite several weeks ago regarding this. Also, Ikelite has no more of these sync cords in stock. On a positive note, the Nikonos to Ikelite strobes sync cords do show-up on the used market. While I haven't purchased one yet, I've seen several.

I have several Nikons SB 105 strobes that I can use with my Nikonos cameras, but I wanted to have the option is using the camera with my Ikelite strobes.

Considering the advancements made in trays and strobe placement over what was originally available for the Nikonos V, the original Nikonos tray with its double arms limits the ability to adjust strobe placement. When I put my Nikonos V outfit together, it's unbelievably awkward compared to my housed DSLR. For what it's worth, I guess the bottom line is that there are better tray options now.

-AZTinman

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements