Interceptor121

Selling stock images benchmarks?

I recently uploaded 3 pictures each on the following websites

1. Alamy

2. Shuttershock

3. Adobe

I have not yet had the time to upload to getty images

Anyway after around 1 month I got my first image sale and it has been on Adobe. The image was also on the other two websites. I got 74p which is obviously nothing and adobe is also the one with higher commissions but from what I can see at least it gets some movement

I am curious what other people do. I found the review process of shutterstock to be fair and the one of Alamy to be really tedious and not versed to underwater images

My perspective is am not shooting competition winners but I do have some images that go well in flyers or for the general public and those are what I put in the stock it is a quick process and I want it to be as easy as it gets

Any other views sites to be considered?

• Like 1

I'm using the same 3.

I get daily sales on Shutterstock, 3-4 times a week on Adobe and 1-2 a month on Alamy.

Alamy rates are usually better. Adobe and Shutterstock, yep, same as you found. Low! But they sure add up and I reckon on 80-90 Shutterstock sales a month. One image has sold over 350 times.

I've not tried Getty yet.

Thank you Tim very helpful

How big is tour portfolio if I may ask?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About 4500 on Alamy, 1900 on Shutterstock and about 1500 on Afobe. Not all are underwater pics as I do a lot of travel pics too.

I’ve found that diver(s)-on-the-reef sell well. Macro rarely. “Arty” underwater pics sadly don’t sell too well either. Well, mine at least

Actually it makes sense some of the most required pictures are food plates and family holidays!

Actually it makes sense some of the most required pictures are food plates and family holidays!

Agreed!

One additional issue which can be tricky is a model release which both Shutterstock and Adobe require. This is ok if a dive buddy or partner is doing the modelling. Very difficult if it is just random divers.

I realised a while back that I had to be really deliberate and plan it to do diver-on-the-reef shots that will sell and for which you have the necessary documentation. A happy snap rarely works.

Sponsors

Advertisements