Sign in to follow this  
KanylenDK

I-torch Symbiosis SS-3 experience ?

Hi all,

I need to order some strobes for my Sony RX100V(a) in a Nauticam housing. Will primarily be used to photography (mostly wide angle but also macro - but with wets lenses).

Im considering the Symbiosis SS-3 as it delivers small size, strobe and video/focus light in one unit. Also the price is a bit lower then the more powerfull strobes.

Any one how has used the SS-3 lights?

Any thoughts in general ?

Kind regards

Tommy

No experience with Symbiosis flash/videolight combinations. Ordered SS-2 as my first flashes and video lights, but fortunately they were out of stock for several monthes and so I changed to dedicated flashes and later bought two video lights.

=> The reason why I say "fortunately" is because when flash or video light breaks, you have to take the entire combination and can only use one function. Also I now go either with flash and focus light and (almost never) with video lights. In case I would want both together I could mount everything, no problem, but this never occured so far...

I must say I have a system camera and always prepare my rig for a specific task. With compact it may be different...

Regards, Wolfgang

Posted (edited)

Here's the specs below, they seem reasonable , the questions I would have would be Is 2800 lumens enough ? Bluewater photo has a video review, though it contradicts some of the written specs on the webpage saying it is a manual only strobe and GN 16, while the text says GN20 and intelligent TTL. Being a compact, you will be using wider apertures so less demanding on light/strobe output. If you are mostly doing wide angle power may be marginal and you might want to check the quality of light coverage depending on just how wide you are shooting. I would also check how wide it is as a focus light, many lights in strobes are not that useful due to the fact you don't point the strobe at the subject, this one being a video light as well should have wide enough beam.

On the question of beam angle, the little INON S-2000 tests very well here: http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=64028 look at the pdf file, the output of the S-2000 is very flat with stock diffuser.

I would also look at this post: https://www.scubaboard.com/community/threads/has-anyone-tried-out-the-new-symbiosis-ss-3.576828/ says that the manual states it is GN16 and manual only strobe and issues with batteries.

The other thing that doesn't appeal to me is the press button mode system where you have to cycle through modes - give me a dial any day! If it was me I would look at a pair of S-2000 and maybe a small focus light?

Symbiosis SS3 Key Specs:

• Guide Number: 20
  • Beam Angle: 105° ~ 95°
  • Number of Flash: 700 (3400mAh)
  • Color Temp: 5500K
  • Recycle Time: 3s on full power (super fast on lower powers) This seems a touch slow?
  • LED output: 2800 lumen
  • LED burn time: 55mins (3400mAh)
  • Battery: 18650 Li-ion battery x2
  • Depth Rate: 60m
  • Weight with batteries: 520g (land) - 120g (UW)
  • Dimension: 180mm x 95mm diameter
Edited by ChrisRoss

Thanks all, im also more and more moving towards a pair of Inon D-200.

Cheers

Tommy

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements