Sign in to follow this  
sunnyboy010101

Feedback from owners of Olympus TG5 & PT-058

With the eminent arrival of the TG6 and the PT-059 UW housing, I am asking divers who currently own the TG5 & PT-058 for comments on how they like the camera/housing.

Also, are you considering upgrading to the TG6 (I read both cameras fit in either housing)?

I'm a long-time Canon person, but my G16 with Ikelite housing, strobe & video light are quite bulky. Compared to my buddy's more compact Canon, the G16 & housing is "huge". Not huge compared to Nauticam DLSR housing huge, but certainly big enough to offer considerable drag when scootering to a far dive site.

I'm seriously connsidering the Olympus TG6 when it comes out, as the camera & housing are around $1000 CDN, which is typical for any compact camera & housing. Together they look to be a LOT smaller than the Ikelite G16 housing, which is what I'm after.

But not being an Olympus person, I just don't know the camera at all. Hence my question.

Thanks in advance.

Currently have the TG5 and 58 Housing.

Compared to the Ikelite - it's for sure made of cheaper materials (mostly plastic). I bet if I dropped it a few times, pieces would fall off / buttons would stop working etc but that's never happened. After two years and a few hundred dives, I never had a single issue. Buttons still respond as well as they have from day one. With the camera already being waterproof, this may be the one housing where you can get away with buying on the cheap.

Posted (edited)

The limiting issue with the TG-5 is lack of manual control of shutter speed, the sensor is also smaller than the G16. If you planning on upgrading think about a G7X II and a Fantasea housing. On sale now at Mozaik for just under $1200 CAD. https://www.housingcamera.com/id4708-fantasea-13965-housing-canon-g7x-ii-direct-import.html On the questions of sizes, specs are:

Fantasea G7X: 16 x 11 x 12.5 cm

PT-058: 15 x 12 x 8

Ikelite G16: 19 x 15 x 16

The Fantasea G7X and PT-058 are about same cross sectional area only area where the Fantasea is bigger is the housing is thicker, so similar swimming resistance. for both. I've seen the ikelite G16 housing and it is big and blocky and quite awkward looking. The TG-6 is a nice little camera especially for macro but I think the bigger sensor in the G7x II will be much more capable.

Edited by ChrisRoss

I have used the TG-3, TG-4 and TG-5, and prefer the TG-4. All three have served me well, excellent photos, easy to use.

I prefer the TG-3 or 4 over the TG-5, easier to set the menus. No regrets. If I had to do it over again today, I would get a

second hand TG 3 or 4 rather than then expensive TG-6.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements