Laval

Color Filters for Underwater Videography

Hello,

I am looking for an advise on selection of an internal color filter(s) for Gates AX700 / Z90 housing.

This housing comes with a red filter, but the filter could be changed for another color.

Seller recommended me to buy both red filter (for blue water) and pink filter (for green water), as according to him "Water conditions vary due to time of day, currents and particulate in the water."

Among other recommendations on internet, here is a typical recommendation: Pink Filter (for use in green water), OrangeFilter (for use at depth up to 15m), Red Filter (for use at depth of 15m or deeper).

Could anyone recommend a good article on color filter selection for UW videography?

I am diving only in warm water, i.e. Indonesia, Philippines, Caribbean, etc.

Also, Gates' color filters are quite expensive ($138US), so I would like to know if there is another manufacturer of good 'pro' quality color filter elements?

Thank you for your recommendations.

Keldan but they are not cheap either

Their -2 filter works well in any water colour so at least you only need 1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Keldan but they are not cheap either

Their -2 filter works well in any water colour so at least you only need 1

Thank you for the info. I will check it out.

Are you shooting with lights?

If you are shooting with lights and manually white balance, then you should get good color rendition without red filter.

Are you shooting with lights?

If you are shooting with lights and manually white balance, then you should get good color rendition without red filter.

When I will be using color correction filter I will either do not use lights or I will use lights with Keldan Ambient filters.

In terms of material I wrote this for wetpixel

http://wetpixel.com/articles/review-keldan-spectrum-and-ambient-filters-by-massimo-franzese

I think you need to be aware that there are many permutations and a dependency on how good your camera does in low light

With my GH5 the keldan -2 works well in any water down to 12-18 meters depending how bright the scene is.

For the ambient filters is pretty much a similar range

Once the scene gets too dark you are better off using lights with no filters at all the exact depth depends on camera and shooting conditions on the day

In terms of CRI a light with CRI >90 at close range will give you great colors but after 1-1.5 meters it will be all blue hence the idea of ambient light filters

• Like 1

In terms of material I wrote this for wetpixel

http://wetpixel.com/articles/review-keldan-spectrum-and-ambient-filters-by-massimo-franzese

I think you need to be aware that there are many permutations and a dependency on how good your camera does in low light

With my GH5 the keldan -2 works well in any water down to 12-18 meters depending how bright the scene is.

For the ambient filters is pretty much a similar range

Once the scene gets too dark you are better off using lights with no filters at all the exact depth depends on camera and shooting conditions on the day

In terms of CRI a light with CRI >90 at close range will give you great colors but after 1-1.5 meters it will be all blue hence the idea of ambient light filters

Many thanks for your reply and a link to the article. Great staff! Very useful information. I have the same video lights with ambient filters that you tested. I need to re-read your article to better understand all fine points.

Sponsors

Advertisements