Hello,

I'm looking for advice with panning shots.

I understand the concept of using front courtain but I want to try the rear courtain.

My question is, how to achieve focus when the camera is stationary and using rear curtain.

Should I try 3d focus system (nikon shooter)? Maybe moving the focus point to the left if the subject is moving right?

Thanks and kind regars,

Joss

Posted (edited)

I think that rear curtain on panning shots does not work? If you use read curtain you get the motion effect with slow shutter speeds

Edited by Interceptor121

I think that rear curtain on panning shots does not work? If you use read curtain you get the motion effect with slow shutter speeds

Hello and thanks for the comment, Maybe I´m not 100% clear.
I´m looking for long exposures with rear curtain as described in Alex Mustard book, chapter "Panning and Spins".
I want the subject to be frozen by the strobes with the blur going to the opposite direction of the subject.
But I have failing miserably on the focusing part.
Kind regards,
Joss

Use a smaller aperture, to increase DoF, and continuous autofocus... The smaller aperture will also require a long shutter opening, to get a reasonable background exposure, and increase the amount of trailing blur... then, trip the shutter a bit before the subject in in the best position...

Takes some practice, but its not difficult...

• Like 1

Hello and thanks for the comment, Maybe I´m not 100% clear.

I´m looking for long exposures with rear curtain as described in Alex Mustard book, chapter "Panning and Spins".

I want the subject to be frozen by the strobes with the blur going to the opposite direction of the subject.

But I have failing miserably on the focusing part.

Kind regards,

Joss

The pans and spins are front curtain shots not rear

Slow exposure camera still rear curtain

Pans and spins slow exposure camera moving front curtain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

to make it clear if you use rear curtain and pan you don't get anything that is not blurred

This is because the beginning of the pan is not sharp as the flash is not firing and at the end of the exposure when it fires you are still moving

Using front curtain that is the correct procedure you start your shot with whatever is the subject frozen by the strobes and add the trail lines with the camera movement

If instead the camera is still front curtain will make it look like the fish is moving backwards hence you use rear curtain when you are still

• Like 2

Sponsors

Advertisements