Shane Haumpton

I need help :( Underwater photography tips

Posted (edited)

Hi Guys,

I'm planning to try underwater photography, however I do not know what to do and I do not have any ideas.

I need suggestions and tips from pros that have tons of experience.

Thank you!

Edited by Shane Haumpton

Hi Shane

Maybe the best way to start is by having a look at one of the excellent books written on the subject.

If you go on to Amazon I’d suggest you take a look at the books by Martin Edge, Alex Mustard or Maria Munn.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=underwater+photography&i=stripbooks&crid=2TOAVF6V6YAHJ&sprefix=Underwater%2Caps%2C297&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_10

Martin’s book is an industry standard. Alex is a very well-known contributor on this forum; and Maria has been teaching compact camera use for many years. Just some suggestions.

After that you could ask specific questions on this forum and I’m sure you’ll find people really helpful.

Good luck!

As always, Tim_G's suggestions are a great place to start. In addition, we need to know a little about you. Are you already a diver? What kinds of things are you looking to photograph - wide reef scenes, your dive buddies, tiny, macro subjects? What sort of budget do you have in mind (be aware that underwater photography is always more expensive than you think that it will be)? That will help us get an idea of which direction to start directing you.

Hi Guys,

I'm planning to try underwater photography, however I do not know what to do and I do not have any ideas.

I need suggestions and tips from pros that have tons of experience.

Thank you!

Give us some background! I'll assume you start by being a reasonably competent scuba diver and that you have some experience with a camera. My basic advice is 'start small and cheap'. Small is easy. Cheap is relative. (Not much that has to operate in salt water is really cheap). Perhaps just get a $300 Kraken universal smart phone housing and try that. In the past I would recommend a simple Canon point-n-shoot with matching housing. Used to be able to get the combo for about $500 new. Problem now is that cell phones have killed off the cheaper point-n-shoots from Canon. You could get a Powershot ELPH 190 (around $150) and pair it with a $199 Ikelite case. Or, perhaps best for now, you could look for used equipment - there is a lot of it out there, in all sorts of conditions.

Also the Howard Hall book, out of print, is excellent for starting out!

Posted (edited)

Hey Guys! Thank you for your advice and recommendation.

Those suggestions are fairly affordable I'm already planning to purchase one.

(Affiliate link removed). Nothing beats free photography tips.

If you find related articles like that, please feel free to give me the link hehehe

Edited by adamhanlon

Sponsors

Advertisements