Sign in to follow this  
jamga02

Bonaire Dive Guide for shore dive photography

Hello, I am heading to Bonaire for a week of diving in early September 2019. I am looking for recommendations for a great skilled dive guide to do 4-5 shore dives with me for one full day.

I want a skilled dive guide that knows the hotspots at the time. Which site has seen great finds in the very recent timeframe (frogfish, seahorses, jawfish with eggs, etc.). I know how secretive (sometimes rightfully so) dive communities can be for great action.

I am a skilled UW photographer with lots of experience. I've been to Bonaire 4 times, but not in the last 10 years. This will be my first time back in the Caribbean in those 10 years. I've mostly been diving Indonesia, PNG, Guam (lived there for a year) and the Philippines.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I am staying at Captain Don's, but want a dive guide that is in the "know" and I don't care where they are working. Price is much less important for the guide versus quality.

Thanks

I've just got back from 2 weeks there.

Have to say, having thought the diving there was getting slightly sad over the last 3-4 years with the reefs deteriorating, there was a noticeable improvement this year. Healthy coral growth, lots more anemones and with them the return, hurrah, of the Spotted Cleaner Shrimp. Clouds of brown chromes, lots of tarpon. STINAPA, the local national parks foundation is involved with a number of organisations re-growing coral - especially stag horn which was so abundant in the early 2000s before the major hurricane hits.

I can't honestly say that I thought a guide was needed and, sorry, can't give you a recommendation. If you are looking for macro, there is loads on Bari Reef and Something Special especially Yellowline Arrow Crab, Pedersen and Spotted Cleaner Shrimp. Three Jawfish easy to find in 3m on Bari Reef - one with eggs in its mouth. I found just one whip coral shrimp.

You'll have great time!

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements