jonm

Sony 50mm macro?

Has anyone tried the Sony 50mm macro lens underwater? I've had great results with the 90mm macro, but in lower visibility situations I sometimes wish I could get closer to the larger subjects. Having a wider field of view would help, I think.

-Jon

Hi,
if i am not wrong,
the 50mm will focus outside...
Means that it works itself for maybe 15 to 20mm way out between infinity to the closest focus.
That means the port has to be long enought, and makes a difference when using diopters for supermacro...
Regards,
Wolfgang

Hi Both, 

Just following up on this - as I'm in the same situation and looking for a macro lens in the 50/60mm range. @jonm did you end up with trying the 50mm?   

For me not being able to use the lens with a diopter is not an issue - if I want to do super macro, I would use the 90mm. 

Cheers,

Y. 

The Sony FE 50mm F/2.8 macro uses an n100 32mm flat port with an N100 40mm extension and at life size the lens sits just inside the port glass so you can take full advantage of shooting at 1:1 but very close to the subject. The lens is better suited to animals in the 1:2 and larger range. The lens is both slow and noise so not ideal for video. Image quality is tack sharp and you can use the focus limiting feature to reduce the distance the lens needs to travel. Focus limit allows you to shoot in the 1:1 to about 1:4  or about 6 to 7 inch range. This takes a lot of getting use to and you may be better off at 1:1 to infinity to start. Smaller subjects like the attached crab photo are best for subject size. I much prefer the Sony FE 90mm F/2.8 macro especially for macro and super macro with closeup lenses like Nauticam SMC- 1 & 2.

I would also add that I have the AEL push button on my Nauticam NA-A7RIV housing set to switch between full frame and APS-C. This means that with the 50mm macro I can switch to APS-C for more distance to the subject (APS-C becomes a 75mm). In APS-C I still get a 26MP file which is larger than most APS-C cameras. 

untitled-05281.jpg

Edited by Phil Rudin

Sponsors

Advertisements