Blenny84

Sony a6300 (Fantasea a6500 v2) or Lumix LX10(NA-LX10) for stills and video 50/50

I am struggling with this decision...so hoping someone can provide some advice based on experience.

Background: I have been shooting mainly video and recently started to do some stills with a Sony RX100 mk2 in a Meikon housing, I got it all from ebay pretty cheap however due to user error :-( I flooded my housing and ruined the camera on my last trip so I am shopping for a new system.

I have a limited budget and have been looking for the best housing+camera+ports combo I can possibly find that will allow me to grow with the same system in the near future (I do not want to upgrade again in 2 years time ideally).

Got a really good deal from a friend and currently own the Nauticam WW1-L wide angle lense and CMC-1 macro lense so I was leaning towards a Nauticam housing mainly because they seem to be the best and to avoid compatibility issues.

I am planning on doing stills and video 50/50 and would like to have a versatile system that can provide decent results on both areas.

I am considering the below options

Option 1: Lumix LX10 in the NA-LX10 pro housing package + use the wet lenses that I have.

Option 2: Get a cheaper housing like the Fantasea a6500 V2 and go for a Sony a6300 with the kit lense + use the wet lenses - Can I use Nauticam wet lenses on a Fantasea housing?

I really want a vacuum system on my housing after what happened and want to avoid going for a cheap Meikon/Seafrogs housing even if it includes a vacuum valve. I know there was no issue with the housing I had and it has served me well but it was not perfect. I just don't want to be worried about my camera or controls all the time....

Option 1 is a solid compact with a superb housing however I think Option 2 gives me more growth, flexibility and probably extra image quality within a less good housing...?

Thanks

Hi Blenny84

Really sorry to read about The Flood. That's a real bummer.

I can't comment on the Lumix, but I thought I'd pass on one suggestion. Housings are of course seriously expensive items. When new. When second hand they are way more affordable. If you have a look at some of the, say, Nauticam housings on sale on the WP Classifieds and compare them with the new list price, you'll see a huge difference. I've sold 5 housings (Subals) over the years and reckon I get about 35% of the original value. So a bargain for a buyer who is happy to get something a few years old and, depending who you buy it from, probably in very good condition.

So I don't think you necessarily have to look at a "less good housing". And, as you say, if you go with one of the top makes, you can then get all sorts of extras and accessories - and, yes, the vacuum valve which I think is a total no-brainer.

Good luck with the hunt.

I just want to echo the "buying used" sentiment by TimG. It can potentially save an incredible amount of money and Nauticam Housings are built to last. Also don't worry about buying a generation older than current. I got a really good deal on ebay and paid about 1000€ for my Olympus EM5 mkI camera, housing, with two ports and one lens. I would also recommend you look at micro 4/3 options. The sensor provides high quality images and the lens selection for UW is one of the best of any system with multiple options for fisheye, macro and wide angle. The Panasonic 14-42mm lens is also pretty popular for use with the WWL-1 and CMC-1.

• Like 1

Hi,
bought a lot of my equipment used,
and 90% were fine.
Problem could be,
depending if you want to adapt the wetlenses direct, or via flip holder,that the Nauticam lenses have the 67mm thread not on the back,
there is some space between the thread and the absolute back end of the lens...
So make sure, that fits,
otherwise you cannot flip it correct or get optical troubles from not flat sitting lenses...

Regards,
Wolfgang

• Like 1

Sponsors

Advertisements