Interceptor121

Need suggestion to buy a straight fiber optic cable

As the thread says I would like to buy a 3m straight cable to use with my remote trigger. Unfortunately none are on sale so am planning to buy a multicore cable and terminate it myself

Anyone can recommend some specifications??

Toslink? I’ve made backup cables using Toslink from Amazon and it works fine with my Z240s.

Toslink is barely 1mm and some strobes seem to need more light to trigger. Sea&Sea seems to need a lot. The expensive multi-fiber or cheap 3mm example above works more reliably.

Posted (edited)

@davehicks the cable is translucent and naked ie not coated.

Does it make a bit fragile? The translucent color I bet becomes invisible in water so this looks very interesting. Can you put the cable on a spool or is too rigid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Interceptor121

I've made a backup fibre optic from an already terminated toslink cable and it works fine for INON strobes. The Toslink plug can be trimmed down to fit in the S&S style connector as used on housings such as Nauticam m43 housings, just take the corners off. You would have to trim down the cable to fit into an INON connector on the other end.

I've made a backup fibre optic from an already terminated toslink cable and it works fine for INON strobes. The Toslink plug can be trimmed down to fit in the S&S style connector as used on housings such as Nauticam m43 housings, just take the corners off. You would have to trim down the cable to fit into an INON connector on the other end.

Yeah, I did the same for my Inons - but davehicks is saying that Toslink cable is not enough, I think, for Sea and Sea strobes. A few posts some time back suggested that S&S strobes need more output to activate a slave.

I think toslink js an alternative to on camera the translucent good for off camera and I just bought 10 meters

Posted (edited)

The cheap Amazon 3mm fiber is really robust. It does have a outer clear coating. Much better than official branded optical connectors on the market which get crimped and bent easily. I've had much longer life span with this in 2 years than I ever got with the real thing.

As for spooling, I think it's OK for a few inches diameter. I have seen some people use hot water to spiral it up like a coiled cable so I guess it could go tighter if needed.

Edited by davehicks

I ordered endglow (less light loss) cables from here for other projects:

https://www.lichtdekor.de/Lichtfasern-Endlicht/Lichtfasern-PMMA/

multiple fibers with coating:

https://www.lichtdekor.de/Lichtfasern-Endlicht/Lichtfaser-in-der-Ummantelung/

Good point

Found on ebay end glow with sheath

Posted (edited)

It's a sideglow cable. Why don't you go for an endglow cable?

Makes Zero difference. These cables transfer a ton of light. I think for the side glow you would need a constant source to have any visible effect. Also I think that due to the "On display" nature of the side glow cables they are more rubust and coated for durability.

Edited by davehicks

Makes Zero difference. These cables transfer a ton of light. I think for the end glow you would need a constant source to have any visible effect. Also I think that due to the "On display" nature of the side glow cables they are more rubust and coated for durability.

I have bought 10 meters of side and 3 meters of end glow. End glove comes in 2mm fiber with black sheath 3mm total. Side glow as by davehicks

Considering the cost £16 for both am happy to test them both

• Like 1

ebay item arrived today just tested it with my anglerfish fires reliably along the 3 meters cable

The cable itself is an endglow 2mm fiber within a black PVC sheating that feels really rugged £5.25 including shipping seems very good to me. 3 meters feels a good length

Also available in 1.8mm but looks a bit thin. Standard inon and sea and sea nauticam are 2.2mm external

for multi-core fiber (like the S&S) the only place that you can get short pieces is industrial fiber optics about $6/meter for the 600+ core stuff

BVA

for multi-core fiber (like the S&S) the only place that you can get short pieces is industrial fiber optics about $6/meter for the 600+ core stuff

BVA

Bill am getting cuts of bigger spools

The cable i got triggers my z240 with a remote trigger just fine

Am not sure about number of cores but works reliably

The 613 core fibers I am using are from Asahi and I can get them by the meter. Couldn't find anywhere else to get them. Coiling them is pretty simple and they fire my S&S YS D1 and D2 using the Nautical LED trigger. Pretty much any end glow fiber can trigger the Z240 (it is very sensitive) but I can not get a single core fiber to reliably trigger the S&S from the LED. From the camera flash no issues with either type of fiber.

Bill

My situation is different i use straight cable attached to an anglerfish remote trigger. I typically use Inon as remote strobe I have not tried the sea and sea yet as I keep those on camera

Posted (edited)

This Wetpixel post describes how to make one's own fiber optic cable, using Amazon supplies:

DIY fiber optic writeup with parts.

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=60564.

The use of grommets as Sea&Sea cable plugs is rather clever. I use just the grommets, without O rings, to connect my DIY Toslink f.o. cables to S&S YS-D2J strobes, they work just fine.

=

I use Toslink fiberoptic cable from eBay, 3 to 4 mm o.d. and ~1.3 mm diam for the light fiber. It fires my two Sea&Sea YS-D2J's reliably in M mode, from a Subal ND800 or a Nauticam NA D500. My Toslink home made cables are tough, inexpensive and always work, no complaints.

Edited by Kraken de Mabini

I don’t like toslink too bulky

Anyway my solution is based on end glow cable I bought on ebay for £5.25 and the plugs for the internal flash that come with the nauticam housing that so far had no use to me

Works with both sea and sea YSD2 and Inon Z240 100% I even triggered it with my phone

The cable is 3mm and I think I prefer it to the 2.2mm of strobes but I need to check on the field

de8911f83f1d53241c179cf0b3514cb9.jpg48545eac89e8c4f60d09b9c5e447cd89.jpg2d890de23b257425cdac18e3474a917f.jpg

• Like 1

Sponsors

Advertisements