Interceptor121

Shark and Yolanda Red Filter and Ambient Light Filter test clip - Graded

Pretty close to what you shot before your upgrade sony rx100v, ys-d1 strobes, a pair of 12K 5000K video lights, and a inon uwl-100 WA. I can pop over there and start a thread

The way to see it if you want to do some tests is that filters on the lens give you around 4 meters benefit on custom white balance.

Typically custom white balance works to max 10-11 meters before it maxes out. Some cameras like Olympus can do custom white balance to 14K in some models.

Now there are plenty of schooling fish you can’t illuminate with lights and you need to make do with ambient light that are between 10 and 15 meters. This is basically the filter hot spot.

In bright scenes 12 meters is also not dark enough to make your lights work well.

So the filter helps to resolve that 10-15 meters area ambient light scene that cwb can’t cover and lights are not suited to.

If your scene is in the range 0-10 meters the benefit of the filter especially for video on MFT is to avoid apertures beyond f/11 where the lens perform poorly so as by product you also get better sharpness.

It really depends on what you are shooting and where but it is nice to have options.

For what concerns the ambient light filters this is a more complex topic because you use the lights just for highlights and detail not as main source same goes for strobes but you have much more power there

So for experiment purposes you need to be able to understand what shots work with filters and which not and then in case of closer scenes or caves you ca try the ambient light

If you start everything altogether you may end up with too much of a challenge

If your primary use is still images wrecks around 12-15m are the perfect starting point or large school of fish from the distance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read that Canon can have extreme manual white balance up to 50K, my personal experience is that it can manual white balance at least down to 25m, but some may find the color unnatural.

I read that Canon can have extreme manual white balance up to 50K, my personal experience is that it can manual white balance at least down to 25m, but some may find the color unnatural.

The camera may white balance but that doesn’t mean you keep all colour

@Interceptor121Which spectrum filter were you using mostly? Is it the -2 or -4? For my last trip I tried the -2 filter for WWL-1 and realise that even with those I am losing like 2 stop of light. Also from your video is it mostly ambient light? i try to look for your video light but can barely see it maybe only those close up shot of bat fish.

[mention=34353]Interceptor121[/mention]Which spectrum filter were you using mostly? Is it the -2 or -4? For my last trip I tried the -2 filter for WWL-1 and realise that even with those I am losing like 2 stop of light. Also from your video is it mostly ambient light? i try to look for your video light but can barely see it maybe only those close up shot of bat fish.

I only use the -2 the lights with the filters on are only to eliminate shadows so they blend as you noticed

@supawoot.t the -2 filter in fact takes 2 stops and the -4 four stops so that is the expected behaviours

All filters take light off so this is not unique to keldan

Sponsors

Advertisements