ProfF

Yet another DIY snoot with built-in true light guide

Posted (edited)

Hi,

It seems that the enthusiasm for a better/cheaper snoot never runs out. I usually find it hard to point the beam of light on the subject, and even a slow moving one escapes by the time I get it. So I wanted a light guide that will show were snoot actually points to. I tried the 10Bar laser focus and found it unreliable and inaccurate. I did design a version where the laser projected on the same line as the strobe using beam splitter. But the laser was annoying.

Then I realized that the same design can work with a strong focus torch. The benefit is that I get to see the whole beam and that it is much brighter than the little red laser dot. Here is the result. It is a modular snoot that can either have a fixed head (at different beam diameters) or a fiber-optic attachment that can be manipulated by hand.

post-25106-0-27067300-1563260294_thumb.jpgpost-25106-0-08880600-1563260318_thumb.jpg

An example of a photo made with this snoot. I had 12-50mm (Olympus EM-1) + wet diopter lens (nauticam CMC2). The focus light was on red, and my dive buddy was aiming the optic fiber snoot at individual skeleton shrimps....

post-25106-0-69742500-1563269043_thumb.jpg

Would love to hear your comments and suggestions. The design is uploaded to https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3749151

Edited by ProfF
  • Like 2

I don't shoot stills, but have an interest in optics, so I took a look at your design, and it looks like a great idea. I wonder how well the 50% mirrors hold up to seawater. Any idea? I do like the design, though.

Posted (edited)

I don't shoot stills, but have an interest in optics, so I took a look at your design, and it looks like a great idea. I wonder how well the 50% mirrors hold up to seawater. Any idea? I do like the design, though.

So far so good (more than a dozen dives for the mirror, I used the same one in earlier prototypes). It is a relatively cheap piece of plastic.

Regarding the optics, would love to hear suggestions for improvements.

Edited by ProfF

Great design! I'm about to print one, but still thinking of two things.

1) Will Sola800 be powerful enough to give light for focusing? I made a beam splitter using following instructables. Just tested it with Sola800 at home and it does work but the beam is not very bright.

2) Do you have any advice where to get optical beam splitter plates? I found eBay, so maybe. I also wonder how to cut it to right size.

Great design! I'm about to print one, but still thinking of two things.

1) Will Sola800 be powerful enough to give light for focusing? I made a beam splitter using following instructables. Just tested it with Sola800 at home and it does work but the beam is not very bright.

2) Do you have any advice where to get optical beam splitter plates? I found eBay, so maybe. I also wonder how to cut it to right size.

1. I used the SOLA800 and at night it was very strong. Didn't try in a bright mid-day. I guess this has to do with the quality of the beam splitter

2. As I wrote in the description, I bought one of the Khet (a laser board game) extension pieces that had two beam splitters. I see them on Amazon (US) for a hefty price right now. Didn't look elsewhere. I am sure that many other plastics have semi-transparent properties that can be used for this design...

Good luck with the print, and I will be happy to hear how it came out.

Prism is the best maybe ,

Since optical paths are reversible, the opposite arrangement is also true.

post-70299-0-44228100-1563338607_thumb.jpg

Thanks!

I thought about this solution. I was worried that optics will change UW (due to differences in refractive index of water and air). Moreover, the prisms I managed to get were rather bulky and heavy.

Prism is the best maybe ,

Since optical paths are reversible, the opposite arrangement is also true.

attachicon.gif10524198492_541667687.jpg

Thanks!

I thought about this solution. I was worried that optics will change UW (due to differences in refractive index of water and air). Moreover, the prisms I managed to get were rather bulky and heavy.

Light passes through the interface between water and glass and is incident vertically. So that's the same.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

FWIW, Edmund Optics is a great resource. I may have to look through their catalog to see if there is anything that might help you.

https://www.edmundoptics.com/

If you want to look through their selection of beam splitters, you have quite a few choices:

https://www.edmundoptics.com/search/?criteria=beam%20splitter#

Edited by SwiftFF5
  • Like 1

Sponsors

Advertisements