mackman

Universal nauticam optical sync popping out

I feel like the new nauticam universal cables are a downgraded from the old housing/strobe specific cables because I manage to pull the clippy part out from the screwy part. Anyone have ideas on how to keep them seated or know where I can buy the older style cables for Inon strobes?

Posted (edited)

Hi, if I understand your problem I would suggest the F.I.T. fiber optical adapter for S&S connector to Nauticam DSLR housing sold by Fun-In in Taiwan

http://www.fun-in.com.tw/oc/index.php?route=product/product&path=58_137&product_id=1064

I got two of them for my Nauti ND D500 housing, and connect them to the strobes with Toslink home made cables and S&S like terminals made out of Amazon bought terminals.

Wetpixel has several lengthy posts on self made fiberoptic cables, most using Toslink cable, it is worthwhile to go over them for ideas.

How to fix a broken Sea&Sea fiberoptic cable

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=59258

or

if this is not the solution, you might consider attaching photos of the clippy and screwy parts, and describe the problem in technical terms.

Edited by Kraken de Mabini

Posted (edited)

So the older Nauticam optical cables screwed into the socket on my housing and strobe and stayed put. Their new "universal" ones have a brand-specific screw down terminal that makes both the housing and the strobe accept the same kind of push-in cable (hence the "universal"). Please see the image below. The cable ends are held in place with a small o-ring around the connector but they end up popping out occasionally. Routing the cable around the clamps helps, but now instead of popping out I've found them sorta half-in and I worry more about them being unreliable because it isn't as obvious something is wrong when they pop-out entirely. So I'm trying to figure out if anyone has advice on how to keep the push-in cable from popping out of the screw terminals. I suppose I could just glue it in but then they won't rotate in the socket like they're supposed to and they are right angle connectors so they might end up pointing in a weird direction. Honestly I just wish I could buy the old version of the cables again.

26216-Universal-Optical-Fiber-Cable--102

Edited by mackman

Posted (edited)

The cable's push-in plug has a small O ring which keeps it in place by friction. You might try a very slightly larger or thicker O ring on one plug, see if it works. Your local Scuba dealer or a dive club member might have a bottle of spare O rings. I buy my O rings from theoringstore.com.

Two O rings from different batches, with the same nominal specs can vary in thickness and diameter, so say a 1 mm nominal O-ring might be 5 or 10 % thinner or thicker than another from a different batch. Switching O rings might make a good difference in how tightly the plug fits.

Let us know how it works out.

see also:

O-Ring Basics. http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=63544&hl=%2Bkraken+%2Bde&do=findComment&comment=403124

Edited by Kraken de Mabini

Thats a really good idea, thank you. I bet I can even put a thicker ring on after insertion that would need to be removed the same way! Thanks again!

Hi, if I recall correctly, the O-ring size is a 5 x 1 mm (internal diam x cross section)

Sponsors

Advertisements