Sign in to follow this  

I shot my last trip to Lembeh on video. My question, is video length? There are just so many clips lol.

I know the feeling, I try to keep the clips relatively short and set a max time of 5 mins but that’s just me. Here’s wha it shot from lembeh and Ambon last year!

Very nice work. The next time I go back there I hope to learn more or have improved. What gear are you using?

Video length is always a concern for most of us. If you are publishing to uknown audience (web, YouTube, etc...) keep it to as short as possible as Pajjpen mentioned above. One idea I was flirting with is to have a main long video to to tell the whole story for 5-10min for example and other mini clips 1-3 min to show a single fish/creature in action. In the main long video the single clip about the creature will be in shown in for few seconds only. Of course, you need include only the absolute must show clips (the winning clips).

To help short list the winning clips good workflow is to start selections process as early as possible and preferably on the same day cause the shots are still in your head. Another helping tip is not to shoot just anything that moves underwater cause you have ample storage and battery life, this will help you minimize the number clips.

Some good cinematographer try to plan the shots as much as possible and yes one has to improvise in our case a lot. 

Compile the clips into the main video through rough edits/cuts (no edit, no color correction at all) to ensure you story is achievable within the time limit you sat. Only then start your color correction process.

Whatever workflow you choose, one can not emphasize enough on good lighting and white balance to help get the     correct colors and thus saving tedious color correction work.

For those who already familiar with the above, please forgive me for the long message.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, seansrs968 said:

Very nice work. The next time I go back there I hope to learn more or have improved. What gear are you using?

The list in is the video description, I have since they upgraded to the gh5 and better wide angle lights, other than that it’s all the same.

My five cents: I think people are obsessed by having others watching their material so you should never set a duration unless you have a specific engagement objective. Having said that some stuff is plain boring. A turtle may be nice but 30 second unless you are changing the framing is far too long for example.

I suggest you do the clip as you like with the right balance and then decide if you want to strip it down for engagement purposes.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements