ianmarsh

WTB: Nauticam Port Adapter for Seacam ports

Looking to buy port adapter for Nauticam housing to use Seacam ports.

ian

Hi Ian,

A quick note to tell you that this adapter works very well.  I've been using it (slightly modified) for the last year and a half.  The combination gives you the double o-ring port sealing of Seacam combined with a Nauticam housing body which give you significantly better control access and control ergonomics than any Seacam housing body.

Fred

Another note here; you will most likely have to order a new from a dealer, which is what I did, and it still took three weeks to get. The problem is, it is not a part dealers typically have in stock and therefore need to be special ordered. As for picking one up second hand, good luck with that, as finding one is rarer than hens teeth. 

Thanks guys.... kicking myself for selling one a year ago.

It’s how we become pack rats, never sell anything, you might need it. And then you do....

So.... Turns out this has been discontinued by Nauticam.

Now I am really stuck. Any suggestions?

ian

Feel your pain , 

I'm up the farm now but will have look when I get back in on Monday.

Something in the back of my mind says we may have one on the shelf.

Having just taken a look on Nauticam’s website, it appears that they done away with al their N120 port adaptors Aquatica, Nexus, Sea & Sea, Seacam, Subal ports to Nauticam housings.  That’s a move I didn’t expect to see.

Posted (edited)

pmooney, you would make my day if you have one:))))

Walt: Me too!

The reason given is that Nauticam doesn't want to be responsible for variations in manufacturing tolerance on the non-Nauticam side of the adapter. I wonder if this has actually been an issue?

Edited by ianmarsh

I would wager a guess that back when Nauticam was pretty much the new kid on the block in the world underwater housings, it was a brilliant tactical and strategic move on their part to offer port adaptors for other manufacturer’s ports. This way, when somebody wanted to make a jump to a different housing, they didn’t need to start all over again with new ports. Now that Nauticam is the most popular housing in use today, matched with a pretty extensive line of ports and underwater optics, the need for adaptors for third party ports is no longer necessary. 

I am just dam glad I got my Seacam port adaptor when I did, or I would have been screwed after getting my Nikonos R-UW 13 converted by Seacam. 

I agree 100% with your thoughts Walt. I used the Seacam adapter with the D800 housing, and never had a moments concern about it. I am guessing Nauticam's end game is to sell more ports, which is understandable. Especially since it is the whole array of adapters that have been cancelled, not just one brand singled out. 

That is EXACTLY my dilemma. My whole system hinges on the 13mm Seacam-Nikonos. 

Hi,

can`t help you but I`m on the same dilemma. Want to switch from Seacam due to poor control access and control ergonomics but still want to use my 13mm Seacam/Nikonos. Only UW Housing supplier supporting my requirements is current is Isotta, They will provide port adapter & will adapt there housing to use my seacam viewfinder. Did`nt place order, but look like very good customer support.

Br Markus

Posted (edited)

Happy ending to this rather sorry tale:) 

Kevin Palmer at Reef Photo has come through like a trooper! He has located a slightly shop worn Seacam port adapter in their test equipment bin. I have snapped this up.

That, and a shiny new Nauticam D850 housing. The spoils of excellent customer support! 

Kudos to  Kevin!! I bet this is the last one available on the planet:)

If they are listening, I hope Nauticam will reconsider stopping production of this and their other adapters. It is an item that puts their housings on everyones radar.

ian

Edited by ianmarsh

Sponsors

Advertisements