String

Housing name/id labels?

This is stretching the definition of photo gear so mods feel free to move if needed...

Does anyone know of a source (ideally UK or fast uk delivery) of labels that i can use to stick on the *outside* of my housing (nauticam) with my name and email and/or phone number so i can identify it (as well as other people)?

Ive seen people with all kinds of dive gear including houses labelled with small, seemingly tough, sticky printed labels about the size of the old school Dymo machines but my google-fu has failed me and i cant find them.  I guess im searching for the wrong term or something.

Im looking for thin, smallish strips that are printed with my details i can stick onto the housing in places that obviously wont come off or fade the second they're immersed.

I got a couple of sets of these from the dive resort we were staying whilst in Puerto Galera some time back and they have been excellent. My partner and I have got them on dive computers, masks, fins, EXRs... all over the place! They come in differing sizes and, after 18 months and three dive trips, stay in place.

They seem to be available online:

https://www.divinglabels.com

3 hours ago, TimG said:

I got a couple of sets of these from the dive resort we were staying whilst in Puerto Galera some time back and they have been excellent. My partner and I have got them on dive computers, masks, fins, EXRs... all over the place! They come in differing sizes and, after 18 months and three dive trips, stay in place.

Yes, these are the good ones, because they have rounded corners so don't tend to peel off inadvertently. Others on eBay or Amazon may be printed on the same 3M material, and may be cheaper, but look out for square corners.

Posted (edited)

There are also some self printing options out there:

https://www.onlinelabels.com/materials/polyester-laser-labels

I've been using these (the clear matte laser version) to ID all sorts of equipment for my business and I've been using them on some of my dive gear as well.  Applied dry and clean they last a good long time even with water exposure.  I wouldn't count on them to last forever underwater but I just stick a couple on any single item and replace as needed.  I can also usually find a place to put them that is dry but easily found and sticking them in the battery compartments and on the batteries gives a 'last resort' guarantee that one of them will survive and be looked at by anyone that finds it.  They are dirt cheap and I just print whatever info I need on them.

Then, for Ptouch (Dymo/Brother/Rhino/etc.) type labels - there are various types including 'extra strength adhesive' versions.  I haven't tried them underwater, but they do hold up against rain.  Similarly, relatively cheap and replaceable.  You can get Brother label printers for nearly free if you look around and one tape cartridge will last you a very long time if just tagging dive gear.

With all of the above the trick is applying it clean (no finger oils) and dry as well as giving it a good rub into the surface if there is any texture present.

Another thing I'm just in the process of trying is some custom 'ID' cards using Vistaprint's plastic business cards.  They are an international supplier of web order printed material and I've used them for regular business cards in the past - the option I'm using will give me something essentially equivalent to a standard credit card/ID sized plastic card but printed with my own custom information including contact info, emergency contact info, insurance info (providers, accounts, phone numbers) and a QR code / URL that I can publish travel itineraries and anything else I might want to add in the future.  I do most of my travelling alone and it seemed prudent to compile all the 'if you find my body' info in one place.  However, these will also be good to attach or put inside various pieces of gear and should be quite durable.  Will see how they turn out in a few days...

(Note: if you use Vistaprint there is always a coupon code out there. Usually 30-40%.)

Anyways... a few cheap/non-standard options I've been experimenting with.   Certainly $25 for a sheet from that dive labels place is not a terrible deal if you only need one sheet.

Edited by mwalker_mw

On 7/28/2019 at 6:09 AM, TimG said:

Tim, Do you think any particular color reflects less with these labels? For those items (like the 8-15 lens & SMC 1 where I wouldn’t want any possible reflection?)  Thx! C

Hey Carol

To be honest, not something I'd thought of. I suspect though that if you put them near the front of, say, a WA or FE lens then yes, you will get reflections - I'm thinking of the reflections I used to get from the white paint on the front of the Sigma 15mm.

I've kept labels well away from the front of lenses/ports etc - but more by good luck than forethought!

I have both the diving labels ones and the ones from Amazon. While the Amazon ones (from myscubalabelsID) have square corners, not round in my hands they stick better than the diving labels ones. Don't know why and maybe they are made by the same guys but they do stick better

Bill

Thanks for those, i'll try one or maybe both listed to see which works best.

Going to email to customise because ive got an irrational hatred of the USN dive flag (i wish they'd use legally recognised standard A flag like everyone else!).  More importantly, i might need 2 sets as i want my name and email/phone number on stickers.

1 hour ago, String said:

ive got an irrational hatred of the USN dive flag (i wish they'd use legally recognised standard A flag like everyone else!).

You might want to do a little research on the "USN" flag, by which I assume you mean the red flag with the diagonal white stripe. It is not a Navy flag, and it IS legally recognized (and required) in many locations. You are correct in that your hatred is irrational. :)

LOL, Of all the places I have dived, the "A flag" is the one I think I have seen the least. The white diagonal on the red background is the norm, I'd suggest.

Anyway, I've got both flags on my stickers :P

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, tursiops said:

You might want to do a little research on the "USN" flag, by which I assume you mean the red flag with the diagonal white stripe. It is not a Navy flag, and it IS legally recognized (and required) in many locations. You are correct in that your hatred is irrational. :)

Actually not.  In most places worldwide you're going to find the Alfa flag has protection and guidelines whereas the USN one does not.

Especially in terms of incident fault, insurance and so on.

Its something the US exported worldwide but isnt a full international standard.  You see it in lots of places purely because of US marketing/customerbase and so on - its recognised by customers.

Either way, im buying stickers (and dive gear!) without the thing!

Edited by String

To be pedantic, the flag you dislike is a US flag, not a USN flag. And the one you like is an Alpha flag, not an Alfa flag.

Of course you can always put a label  or two on the insides of your housing and ports.  I try to label most of my dive gear with standard Dymo label tape.  Camera and lenses too.  Sometimes i'll apply a strip of Scotch clear tape on top for extra protection depending on the surface.  Silver Sharpie for things that don't adhere to the label well.

On 7/30/2019 at 7:51 PM, davehicks said:

Of course you can always put a label  or two on the insides of your housing and ports.  I try to label most of my dive gear with standard Dymo label tape.  Camera and lenses too.  Sometimes i'll apply a strip of Scotch clear tape on top for extra protection depending on the surface.  Silver Sharpie for things that don't adhere to the label well.

I do label the inside of the housing but the outside would be handy (im not even sure people would know how to equalise then open my housing for example!).

Also occasionally there are multiple housings of the same type in the same place.

Sponsors

Advertisements